Pediatric Orthopedic Neuromuscular Program
The nationally ranked Jackie and Gene Autry Orthopedic Center is home to the largest Pediatric Orthopedic Neuromuscular Program on the West Coast. Our orthopedic specialists have decades of experiencing treating children who have cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida and rare neuromuscular conditions. We see thousands of children with neuromuscular disorders every year, which gives us exceptional expertise.
Pediatric Orthopedic Neuromuscular Program at CHLA: Why Choose Us
Neuromuscular disorders are complex. Because they affect a child’s nerves and muscles, treatment requires advanced capabilities and experience. We provide a full complement of services and treatments. Your child benefits from:
- Exceptional results: We diagnose and treat approximately 400 children with neuromuscular diseases every month. Many of these children have complicated medical needs. Our neuromuscular disorder treatments get excellent results.
- Specialized care team: We bring together leading experts to improve your child’s quality of life. We work closely with the Neurological Institute, the Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopedic Program and other departments as needed.
- Movement analysis: At our accredited Motion and Sports Analysis Lab, we evaluate your child’s gait (walk) before, during and after treatment. Our doctors use this information to tailor the most effective treatment plan. Our findings show that using the lab greatly reduces the need for follow-up surgeries.
- High-level rehabilitation services: Specialists in our physical and occupational therapy programs have advanced training helping children with neuromuscular conditions. We help your child regain function and mobility.
- Health-protective X-rays: Our EOS low-dose radiation X-ray imaging system minimizes your child’s exposure to radiation. We were the first medical center in Los Angeles County to make this system available to children.
- Fast access to braces and devices: Our orthotics department has representatives from medical device companies on-site. These experts measure your child during cast changes to ensure that custom-fitted braces are ready immediately after cast removal. There’s no delay in treatment. They also fit your child for braces and orthotics (shoe inserts).
- Research and new therapies: Our doctors are nationally recognized for their clinical and research expertise. Our clinical research studies have improved the care of children with neuromuscular disorders worldwide.
We know it’s challenging to take time off from work, school and home for multiple medical appointments. For your convenience, we offer:
- Same-day appointments with multiple specialists
- Care at medical therapy units (MTUs) throughout Southern California in partnership with California Children’s Services (CCS)
- Follow-up care, including some diagnostic X-rays, at CHLA's specialty care centers throughout Los Angeles County
Neuromuscular Disorders We Treat
We treat all types of neuromuscular disorders, including:
- Achilles tendon contractures and Achilles tendonitis
- Cerebral palsy
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
- Contractures of the calf muscle (gastrocnemius), knee, hamstring and multiple joints (arthrogryposis)
- Intoeing (pigeon toes)
- Mitochondrial disorders
- Motor neuron diseases, including spinal muscular atrophy
- Muscular dystrophy, including Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Rett syndrome
- Spina bifida
- Spine tumors