Thousands of children need treatment for back problems every year. If your child is one of them, you’ll find the highest level of care at the Children’s Spine Center. Part of our nationally ranked Jackie and Gene Autry Orthopedic Center, the Children’s Spine Center is the top program of its kind on the West Coast.
The Children’s Spine Center: Why Choose Us
Our orthopedic doctors have been treating children’s back problems — and achieving outstanding results — for more than 30 years. At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, your family has access to:
- Deep expertise in spine surgeries: One in five pediatric spine treatments in the United States happens at our spine center. That’s more than 300 surgeries per year. Few hospitals in the country can match this level of experience.
- Exceptional treatment results: We specialize in the latest nonsurgical and surgical scoliosis and spine disorders treatments. Children treated at our center recover faster from surgery and experience extremely low rates of complications compared to the national average. We excel at quickly returning elite athletes back to the sports they love.
- Specialized spine team: Your child’s medical team includes experts in orthopedic spine surgery, neurosurgery, spine anesthesiology and pain management. Our experts work together seamlessly to achieve the best results for your child. A team of nurses with advanced training in pediatric spine problems provides compassionate care. Meet our orthopedic spine team.
- Safer imaging: Children with spine problems require multiple X-rays to plan treatment and check postsurgical progress. To minimize your child’s exposure to potentially harmful radiation, we use EOS. This 3D X-ray imaging system uses up to 95% less radiation than standard X-rays.
- Expert pain management: Back problems can be very painful. Our pain management specialists work with your child to minimize pain. We offer complementary therapies such as acupuncture and biofeedback. For children who need surgery, we use nonaddictive pain medications as much as possible.
- Care closer to home: We believe every child should be able to access the best spine treatments. We do our best to minimize your travel time to Los Angeles. We offer video consultations for families who live outside of the metro-Los Angeles area or in other parts of the world. We also have specialty care centers throughout the county for treatment follow-ups.
Scoliosis and Other Pediatric Spine Problems We Treat
Our internationally renowned pediatric spine specialists treat all problems, including:
- Back pain
- Neuromuscular disorders, including cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy
- Spina bifida
- Spine fractures and misalignment (spondylosis and spondylolisthesis)
- Spine tumors
Support for Families
Some children are born with spine problems. Some conditions, including forms of scoliosis (curvature of the spine) develop during adolescence. Children and families affected by spine problems face unique challenges. We offer help and hope through:
- Patient and family education: Our nurse-led classes help children and families prepare for surgery and understand what to expect during recovery.
- Peer program: We connect children and parents with other families who share similar experiences.
- Emotional support: Our Child Life specialists help families cope with the stress of illness and hospitalization.
Research and New Therapies
Our doctors have dedicated their careers to finding new ways to treat children’s spine problems. We conduct hundreds of clinical research studies every year. Your child may try new therapies still in development through a clinical trial. In addition, we’re active in the: