Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopedic Program
Children with hand and upper extremity problems receive exceptional care at the Jackie and Gene Autry Orthopedic Center at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, one of the top pediatric programs of its kind in the country.
More than 300 children see specialists at our Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopedic Program every month. Treating this high number of patients gives our specialists deep expertise with medically proven treatments. Your child benefits from the latest treatments, including advanced microvascular procedures and nerve transfer surgery. We often help families who have been told that a problem is too complex or difficult to treat.
Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopedic Program at CHLA: Why Choose Us
Every child’s hand or limb problem is unique. Certain problems may be congenital (present at birth). Other problems may develop suddenly from an accident. Our experts customize a treatment plan to address your child’s specific needs. Families consistently give us high marks for patient satisfaction. We offer:
- Care for all hand and limb problems: We commonly treat hand, arm, elbow and growth plate fractures, as well as nerve and tendon injuries. We also specialize in more complex problems, such as congenital hand disorders, cerebral palsy, compartment syndrome and amputations. Learn more about our hand and upper extremity treatments.
- Specialized hand therapy: Your child’s doctor may recommend hand therapy instead of surgery. Therapy can also aid recovery after surgery. Our occupational hand therapists have specialized training in helping children regain the use of their hands and upper limbs.
- Acute flaccid myelitis (AFM) program: AFM is a spinal cord condition that causes sudden arm and leg weakness. Nerve transfer surgery can help.
- Dedicated team of experts: Your child receives comprehensive care from specialists in orthopedic surgery and occupational therapy. Meet our hand and upper extremity doctors.
- A focus on your family’s needs: Our CATCH Hand Differences Program offers activities that bring together children and families affected by hand disorders.
- Care close to home: We make it easier for your child to receive care. Our specialty care centers are conveniently located throughout Los Angeles. Find a location near you.
Hand and Upper Extremity Conditions We Treat
We’re nationally recognized for our expertise in treating all types of hand and upper extremity conditions. No problem is too complex.
Hand conditions we treat:
- Amniotic band syndrome
- Arthrogryposis (multiple joint contractures)
- Bone and soft tissue tumors
- Camptodactyly (permanent bend in fingers)
- Cleft hand (missing fingers or hand deformities)
- Clinodactyly (curved fingers)
- Macrodactyly (unusually large fingers or toes)
- Madelung deformity (bowed wrist)
- Polydactyly (extra fingers or toes)
- Radial and ulnar longitudinal deficiencies (hand bends towards forearm, also called club hand)
- Symbrachydactyly (short, webbed or conjoined fingers)
- Syndactyly (fused fingers)
- Trigger thumb or fingers (digits stuck in bent position)
Upper extremity conditions we treat:
- Brachial plexus
- Congenital limb defects
- Fractures and dislocations
- Little league elbow and shoulder (overuse injury)
- Radioulnar synostosis (restricted forearm movement)
Other conditions we treat:
- Acute flaccid myelitis (AFM)
- Cerebral palsy