The Division of Pain Medicine provides care for children with acute pain and chronic pain. Pain is a complex and unique experience that affects all areas of a child or adolescent’s life. Whether the pain is caused by a chronic illness or has an unknown cause, it can impact relationships, school, mood, sleep, family life and everyday responsibilities.
Pain Medicine: Why Choose Us
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is known for its expertise in diagnosing and treating infants, children, adolescents and young adults (up to 21 years of age) who have acute or chronic pain. Our team uses a thorough evaluation to develop an individualized approach to treat each patient, including managing the physical, social and emotional aspects of pain. The team also treats patients after surgical procedures or those with other conditions, such as cancer, sickle cell disease and headaches that won’t go away.
- Leading experts: Pain is a personal experience that touches all areas of a child’s life. When pain lasts a long time—weeks, months or even years—it can have an impact on relationships, school, mood, sleep, and family and daily life. For these reasons, it is important to address pain as early as possible. Our dedicated and caring Pain Medicine team members the training and expertise to best treat pain in children.
- Team of specialists: Our collaborative approach ensures we meet all of your child’s needs. Our team includes anesthesiologists, psychiatrists, psychologists, nurse practitioners, psychologists, physician assistants, acupuncturists, nutritionists and dog therapy specialists.
- Psychological and psychiatric support: We offer psychological and psychiatric support for children and their families to help cope with the stressors of living with acute pain and guide them with techniques to help improve daily functioning.
- Individualized treatment plans: Each patient will be seen by a doctor and a counselor for a full evaluation. Then, an individualized treatment plan is made for the patient and parents. This plan may include referrals to other experts when appropriate. The treatment plan will address:
- Pain signs and symptoms
- Emotional and social aspects of pain
- Daily life (sleep, school, peers, family and more)
- Multiple treatment options: We can provide pain control using a variety of techniques including:
- Intravenous opioids using patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) pumps,
- Regional therapies like epidurals, spinals and peripheral nerve blocks,
- Topical therapies to minimize pain with needle sticks
- Dog therapy
Pediatric Pain Medicine Programs and Clinics