The Division of Pain Medicine provides comprehensive, interdisciplinary care to children with acute and chronic pain. Our team of physicians, psychologists, advanced practice providers, nurses and acupuncturists treats the whole patient by fostering a supportive and compassionate environment. Our care helps patients be active participants in their recovery and live an optimal life.
The Division of Pain Medicine takes pride in promoting health equity and delivering high-quality care to our diverse patient population. We are dedicated to advancing pediatric pain medicine through research, innovation and education. By training a multidisciplinary range of specialties, we aim to develop future leaders in pediatric care management.
Pain Medicine: Why Choose Us
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is known for its expertise in diagnosing and treating infants, children, adolescents and young adults who have acute or chronic pain. Our team performs an evaluation to create a treatment plan to care for each patient, including managing the physical, social and emotional aspects of pain. The team also treats patients after surgical procedures or those with other conditions, such as cancer, sickle cell disease and headaches that happen often or are difficult to treat.
- Leading experts: Pain is a personal experience that touches all areas of a child’s life. When pain lasts a long time—weeks, months or even years—it can impact a child’s relationships, school, mood, sleep, and family and daily life. For these reasons, it is important to address pain as early as possible. Our dedicated Pain Medicine team members have the training and expertise to best treat pain in children.
- Team of specialists: Our collaborative approach ensures we meet all your child’s needs. Our team includes anesthesiologists, psychiatrists, psychologists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, acupuncturists and dog therapy specialists.
- Psychological and psychiatric support: We offer psychological and psychiatric support for children and their families to help them cope with the stress of living with acute pain and guide them to help improve daily functioning.
- Individualized treatment plans: Each patient will be seen by a doctor and a psychologist for a full evaluation. Then, a treatment plan is made for the patient and their parents. The plan may include referrals to other experts when appropriate. The treatment plan will address:
- Pain signs and symptoms
- Emotional and social aspects of pain
- Daily life (sleep, school, peers, family and more)
- Multiple treatment options: We can provide pain control using a variety of treatments including:
- Botulinum toxin injection
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Dog therapy
- Implantable drug pumps and neurostimulators
- Inpatient pain rehabilitation program
- Interventional pain procedures such as epidural steroid injections, peripheral nerve blocks, and trigger point injections
- Mediation and breathing exercises
- Medication management
- Stress management
Pediatric Pain Medicine Programs and Clinics