Our cardiogenomics team cares for children who have heart conditions that are inherited, or passed down through families. Cardiogenomics is a medical field that combines cardiology and medical genetics.
We give families a deep understanding of inherited heart conditions so they can make the right decisions for their care. We also customize a comprehensive treatment plan for each child. Our care ensures children with these conditions can have the highest possible quality of life.
Cardiogenomics Program: Why Choose Us
As part of the nationally ranked Heart Institute, our Cardiogenomics Program focuses on inherited, or genetic, heart disease. Families who come to our program receive:
- Genetic testing expertise: Clinical genetic test results require specialized medical expertise because the tests find specific and complex DNA changes. Our pediatric cardiac genetics team understands these results and interprets their details. This expertise means we can give families accurate and helpful information about genetic conditions.
- Expert team: Our cardiogenomics team includes renowned pediatric cardiologists, genetic counselors and a pediatric medical geneticist. Our cardiologists and medical geneticists are doctors who have expertise in genetic heart conditions. Genetic counselors help you understand how these conditions personally affect your family. They also help you make informed care decisions.
- Multidisciplinary care: Families have access to all our Heart Institute has to offer, including pediatric cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery and our Complex Congenital Heart Disease Program. Our close collaboration with other specialties provides your child with comprehensive care and better outcomes.
- Family-centered, compassionate care: We combine our exceptional medical care with full emotional and social support for your child. Our psychologists and Child Life specialists ensure you have what you need to make the right decisions for your child’s care. Learn about our Child Life Program and Social Work Program.
Diagnosing Genetic Heart Conditions
The field of medical genetics is rapidly changing, and our cardiac genetic experts are knowledgeable in the latest testing techniques and therapies. We diagnose all types of inherited heart conditions and can guide your family in planning for the future.
Genetic Heart Conditions We Treat
We specialize in complex and rare genetic heart conditions. Types of genetic heart conditions we treat include:
Cardiomyopathy is a condition that affects the heart muscle. Learn more about the types of cardiomyopathy, such as:
- Arrhythmogenic cardiomyopathy
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Left ventricular noncompaction
- Restrictive cardiomyopathy
Arrhythmias are conditions that cause an irregular heartbeat. Learn more about arrhythmias we treat, including:
- Brugada syndrome
- Catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT)
- Long QT syndrome
- Short QT syndrome
Vascular disorders are conditions that affect the blood vessels. Some of the vascular disorders we treat include:
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- Loeys-Dietz syndrome
- Marfan syndrome
Treatment for Genetic Heart Conditions
If we identify a genetic heart condition that needs treatment, we coordinate your child’s care with other specialties in the Heart Institute. These specialties may include pediatric cardiology, heart failure, electrophysiology or our Preventive Care Program for children with high cholesterol. You can be confident your child is covered, no matter what medical needs arise.