Preventive Care for High Cholesterol in Children
Cholesterol and triglycerides are fatty substances in the body. High cholesterol or triglycerides, known as hyperlipidemia, can harm heart health. But hyperlipidemia isn’t just an adult condition. It affects children, too.
Our team specializes in diagnosing and treating high cholesterol and triglycerides in children. We work with you to understand and manage this condition to help your child live a long, healthy life.
Preventive Care Program: Why Choose Us
Our Preventive Care Program, part of our nationally ranked Heart Institute, has a team of experts focused on treating hyperlipidemia in children. Our program offers:
- Multidisciplinary team: Our cardiologists collaborate with other experts at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles to address every aspect of hyperlipidemia. They work with specialists in endocrinology, adolescent medicine, and nutrition to meet the unique needs of your child. Meet our pediatric heart center team.
- Leaders in children’s lipid disorders: Cholesterol and triglycerides are lipids. Our doctors were among the first to specialize in treating pediatric lipid conditions. Today, our team continues to deliver the most advanced and proven treatments.
- Innovative testing: Children may receive specialized testing that looks for genetic causes of hyperlipidemia. This information enables us to create targeted and customized treatment plans.
Causes of High Cholesterol or Triglycerides in Children
If your child has been diagnosed with hyperlipidemia, you may wonder how and why this condition happens. The three main causes are:
- Genetics: Certain gene changes can make it hard for the body to process lipids normally. These genetic changes can lead to high cholesterol or triglyceride levels and a greater risk of heart disease.
- Diabetes: Children who have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes may also have high lipid levels. High lipids often occur with high levels of blood sugar, or glucose.
- Diet and obesity: Eating a diet high in saturated fats, trans fats and processed foods may raise cholesterol levels. Children who have obesity may also have high lipid levels.
No matter the cause, our team works with you to develop a comprehensive treatment plan for your child. Achieving healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels now will benefit your child for years to come.
Treatment for High Cholesterol and Triglycerides
We customize a treatment plan to your child’s needs. Treatment may include:
- Diabetes management: Children who have Type 1 diabetes may see an endocrinologist and cardiologist to manage glucose and lipids. They may need to take prescribed medications, including insulin.
- Help with lifestyle changes: Our dieticians offer clear guidance on how to lower cholesterol with a healthy diet. We work with you and your child to develop a plan that fits your needs and lifestyle.
- Regular monitoring: Your child may need cholesterol and triglyceride tests to check treatment progress and help prevent future heart disease. Our doctors can work with your child’s pediatrician to ensure your child gets regular testing.