Cardiac Critical Care Medicine
Critical care medicine, also called intensive care, treats severe or potentially life-threatening conditions. Many pediatric heart conditions have the potential to become serious. That’s why Children’s Hospital Los Angeles has dedicated critical care medicine programs for children with heart conditions.
Rest assured that our cardiac critical care team can give your child the best possible care. And our family-centered care approach means you can be with your child the whole time.
Why Choose Us
If your child has or develops a serious heart condition, it’s important to get treatment at a facility with expertise in cardiac critical care. Children's Hospital Los Angeles offers:
- Leading-edge, child-focused treatments including:
- Expert, collaborative team: Our pediatric cardiac critical care specialists work closely with doctors in our other Heart Institute programs to provide comprehensive care
- Dedicated subspecialty teams: We have special teams for cardiac anesthesiology and cardiac intensive care. These teams only treat children with heart problems. This specialization means they have experience treating the most complex and rare heart conditions.
- Critical care research: We research new critical care treatments and protocols to ensure your child always receives the best possible care. And we share our findings with the cardiac critical care community to improve best practices around the world.
Awards and Affiliations
- Beacon Award for Excellence: Our CTICU and Cardiovascular Acute Unit both have top-tier designations from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses’ Beacon Award. This award recognizes our high-quality care and commitment to using evidence-based practices to improve patient outcomes.
- Best Children’s Hospital Honor Roll: U.S. News & World Report routinely ranks CHLA among the top 5 children’s hospitals in the country. The Heart Institute also consistently ranks among the top 5 pediatric cardiology and heart surgery programs nationally. The Division of Cardiac Critical Care Medicine plays a key role in the excellent patient outcomes we achieve.
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society (PCICS): Our CTICU providers are members of the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society. Their membership allows them to attend meetings and share best practices with other cardiac critical care specialists. Participating in PCICS helps them keep up with the latest and most advanced cardiac critical care treatments and protocols.