When your child has a brain tumor, they need the best treatment. The experts in the Brain Tumor Center at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles provide exceptional care for children with all types of central nervous system tumors.
Our specialists consistently set the standards for pediatric care. Children’s Hospital Los Angeles ranks among the top children’s hospitals in the nation and is the highest ranked in California according to U.S. News & World Report.
We see more than 150 new patients each year, making us one of the largest and highest-performing pediatric brain tumor centers in the United States. Our specialists routinely treat conditions that other doctors may see only once or twice in their lifetimes. No matter your child’s condition, we offer comprehensive, advanced services to give your child the best chance for a positive outcome.
Brain Tumor Center: Why Choose Us
We have achieved national recognition for how well we diagnose and treat all types of brain and spinal cord tumors. At Children’s Hospital, your family can expect:
- Cutting-edge treatments: We have one of the largest clinical trial portfolios for pediatric brain tumor patients in the country. CHLA gives your child access to the most innovative treatments that are not offered elsewhere in the region. We perform comprehensive genetic testing on all tumors, allowing us to provide more personalized, effective treatment plans for our patients.
- Expert care: As an academic medical center, our doctors are leaders in their fields. CHLA doctors participate extensively in brain tumor research to provide your child with the highest level of care from established experts.
- Team approach: Our Brain Tumor Center is one of the only programs of its kind that integrates multiple doctors from other specialty areas into the treatment team for more efficient, comprehensive and effective care. If your child needs treatment related to neurology, neurosurgery, endocrinology or other areas, our experts all work together. And our rehabilitation specialists, including physical therapists and occupational therapists, help your child regain movement and function after treatment. Meet our team.
- Child-focused radiation therapy: The Radiation Oncology Program at CHLA is one of only three in the nation with an exclusive focus on children. Growing children can be more sensitive to radiation than adults. Our experts use precise treatments to minimize radiation side effects. Our kid-friendly environment has bright colors, books, games, stickers and welcoming team members. You can also schedule a tour before treatment to help your child feel more comfortable.
- On-site rehabilitation: We are one of the few children’s hospitals in the nation with an inpatient pediatric rehabilitation unit. On-site rehabilitation means that rehabilitation can begin while your child is getting treatment. After treatment, your child can recover under the care of the same specialists. This puts children at ease and promotes better outcomes.
- Support for your whole family: Child Life specialists and clinical social workers are available seven days a week to provide psychosocial support for your whole family. We also offer an array of support groups, community resources and financial aid offerings.
Brain Tumor Center Programs and Services
Our programs give your child expert care from all relevant specialists in one convenient location.
Our programs and services include:
- Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology Service
- Brain Tumor Research
- Brain Tumor Clinical Trials
- HOPE Behavioral Health, Neuropsychology and Education Service
- LIFE Cancer Survivorship and Transition Service
Pediatric Brain Tumor Treatments
We have one of the top 5 largest brain tumor centers in the country. This means our specialists see more children than most other hospitals. They are experts in identifying, diagnosing and treating all types of brain and central nervous system tumors.
Your child’s treatment might involve:
Brain Tumor Clinical Trials
Children’s Hospital is a national leader in pediatric brain and spinal cord tumor research. We conduct clinical trials to study the newest and most advanced tumor treatments. Our neuro-oncologists have paved the way for some of the most innovative therapies.
For example, CHLA specialists are co-leading studies to use immunotherapy to treat brain tumors and are also testing new ways to personalize treatments based on the genetics of certain tumor types. Get more information about brain tumor clinical trials.
CHLA’s doctors and researchers are members of leading international clinical trial networks. Our participation in these networks gives your child access to more new research trials and treatment options.
The Brain Tumor Center is a member of:
- Children’s Oncology Group (COG)
- Collaborative Ependymoma Research Network (CERN)
- Neurofibromatosis Clinical Trials Consortium (NFCTC)
- National Experimental Therapeutics Consortium (NEXT)
- Pacific Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Consortium (PNOC)
- Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium (PBTC)
- Sunshine Project of National Pediatric Cancer Foundation (NPCF)
Awards and Certifications
At CHLA, we continue to raise the bar for pediatric care quality. Our recognition includes:
- Becker’s Healthcare 100 great hospitals in America
- Magnet Recognition for exceptional nursing care
Radiation Oncology Accreditation
We are one of the few children’s hospitals in California to achieve Accreditation Program for Excellence (APEx) certification from the American Society for Radiation Oncology. This APEx accreditation highlights how important it is to us that your child receives the safest, most advanced care.
U.S. News & World Report Ranking
U.S. News & World Report has consistently recognized CHLA as a top children’s hospital since creating the Best Children’s Hospital program in 1990. This year, we are:
- The highest-ranked children’s hospital in California
- A top 10 hospital on the Best Children’s Hospital Honor Roll
- Among the top hospitals in the country for children’s cancer care
- One of the top hospitals nationwide for pediatric neurology and neurosurgery
To schedule an appointment with the Brain Tumor Center at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, call 323-361-6600.