At the Fetal-Maternal Center at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, we provide care for complex fetal conditions. When routine tests show the possibility of a medical problem, pregnant women come to our program for diagnosis and treatment.
We coordinate all the services you and your baby need in one convenient location. Our compassionate experts walk you through every treatment option so you can make the most informed, best choices for your family.
The Fetal-Maternal Center at Children’s Hospital: Why Choose Us
The Fetal-Maternal Center provides:
- Multidisciplinary expertise: At the Fetal-Maternal Center, we gather every fetal-maternal expert and subspecialist you may need under one roof. Unlike other centers, we give you access to a large team of experts, so you don’t have to travel far for the right care. Our experts have deep knowledge and a wide scope of specialized practice that leads directly to improved outcomes.
- Convenient, coordinated services: Your first step is connecting with a nurse care manager. This specialist serves as your point person throughout your treatment. Nurse care managers answer questions, provide support and coordinate every specialty appointment you may need. Many patients require care from at least two or more specialized doctors. Your nurse care manager coordinates all these services for you, so you can focus on your family.
- Advanced prenatal diagnostic options: At the Fetal-Maternal Center, we use some of the most advanced diagnostic options available. We offer fetal magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), a highly specialized, rare test. Fetal imaging options like 3D ultrasound and fetal echocardiograms allow for more accurate pictures of a fetus, which helps our doctors provide correct prenatal diagnoses.
- Counseling and mental health services: Parents may experience stress or worry about their baby’s treatment. Experts in the Division of Psychology provide counseling services in the FMC. We also provide free-of-charge teratogen counseling. Teratogen specialists help women understand the safety of specific environmental factors, such as taking medication or dyeing your hair while pregnant.
Your Fetal-Maternal Medicine Appointment
The Fetal-Maternal Center offers a range of services, from diagnostic testing to care coordination. Your treatment plan is unique, based on your individual risks, preferences and needs.
Every step of the way, a nurse care manager schedules all your appointments, answers questions and provides support. Find out more about what to expect at the Fetal-Maternal Center.
Conditions We Treat
Fetal conditions we treat include, but are not limited to:
- Abdominal wall defects
- Any condition that may require surgery, such as intestinal obstructions
- Cardiac abnormalities
- Fetal growth restriction
- Genetic disorders and chromosome problems
- Neurological and brain abnormalities
- Pleural effusions, or abnormalities of the lungs
- Spina bifida and myelomeningocele
- Urological conditions (kidney and bladder problems)
The fetal therapy team also offers treatment for:
- Alloimmunization and fetal anemia
- Twin-twin transfusion syndrome
- Vasa previa
Collaborative Fetal Care
Through the Fetal-Maternal Center, you have access to care from any specialist you may need. Your care team might include the expertise of: