Hip Preservation Program
The Hip Preservation Program at the nationally ranked Children’s Orthopaedic Center is the only comprehensive program of its kind in Los Angeles County. Our orthopaedic specialists provide comprehensive care for infants through young adults experiencing hip problems. We help on-the-go children develop into active adults.
About Children’s Hip Problems
Hip problems don’t just affect older people. In fact, approximately 1 in 10 infants have hip instability and 1 in 100 infants receive treatment for hip dysplasia, the medical term for loose, unstable hip joints. The condition can also develop during childhood.
Children with untreated hip dysplasia have a high risk of developing early-onset hip arthritis. As teenagers, they may experience such severe pain and discomfort that even walking becomes unbearable. Our treatments can delay or prevent the development of arthritis and the need for hip replacement surgery.
Children’s Hip Preservation Program: Why Choose Us
At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, your child gets care at one of the country’s top five children’s hospitals. Our patients and families give us high marks for quality and patient safety. Our program has:
- Comprehensive care: We treat all types of hip problems, including Perthes disease. This condition causes a temporary loss of blood flow to the ball of the hip joint. Bone cells start to die, weakening hip bones and sometimes causing the bone to collapse (avascular necrosis).
- Full range of treatments: We always try nonsurgical treatments first. If surgery is needed, you can feel confident in your child’s care. We see hundreds of children every year for hip problems. This deep expertise ensures the best outcomes. Learn more about our hip disorder treatments.
- Walking analysis: We use advanced technology at our John C. Wilson Jr. Motion and Sports Analysis Lab to evaluate your child’s movement before, during and after treatment. With this information, our specialists can get your child moving again quickly and lower the risk of reinjury.
- Advanced diagnostic tools: We offer low-radiation EOS X-ray imaging to minimize your child’s exposure to harmful radiation. When needed, your child can get diagnostic ultrasound imaging scans, as well as follow-up care, at one of our specialty care centers.
- Collaborative team approach: Your child’s care team includes specialists in orthopaedic surgery, physical therapy and orthotics. On-site representatives from medical device companies conveniently fit your child for braces, crutches and other equipment. Meet our team.
Research and New Therapies
Our doctors are committed to discovering new ways to diagnose and treat hip problems in children. This dedication is apparent in the numerous clinical research studies that take place every year at our hospital. Our hip specialists are among an elite group of medical experts participating in the:
Hip Problems We Treat
We treat hip injuries that occur from sports, physical activities and traumatic accidents. We also treat:
- Avascular necrosis
- Femoral acetabular impingement
- Hip arthritis
- Hip labral tears
- Perthes disease
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE)