Cardiac anesthesiology is an important part of children’s heart care. Anesthesiologists keep children safe, comfortable and asleep during surgery and other procedures. Our team works exclusively in pediatric cardiology, so you know you are getting experts in both anesthesiology and children's heart conditions.
Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology: Why Choose Us
We are one of the few children’s hospitals in the U.S. with a dedicated team of pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists. Our experts only care for children who have heart disease or who need heart procedures. This experience has given them extensive knowledge in the unique needs of patients with pediatric heart conditions. At our hospital, you will find:
- Dedicated team: Our Board-certified pediatric anesthesiologists specialize in caring for children with congenital heart defects (present at birth) and other heart conditions. Their expertise means your child gets the best possible care during surgeries and procedures.
- Collaboration with leading surgeons: Our pediatric anesthesiologists work closely with our cardiothoracic surgeons. Together, they perform a large number of heart surgeries and catheterization procedures. Because they care for so many children, your child benefits from their experience and expertise. Meet our Heart Institute team.
- Nationally ranked heart care: U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks our Heart Institute among the top 5 pediatric cardiology and heart surgery programs in the U.S. You can be confident that your child will receive exceptional care, no matter what your child’s medical needs are.
- Premier teaching hospital: Our team trains and educates the next generation of pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists. As an academic hospital, we use the latest research to provide children with leading-edge care. Learn more about our cardiac anesthesiology fellowships.
When We Use Anesthesia for Children
Our cardiac anesthesiologists work closely with our surgeons and cardiologists to ensure surgeries and procedures have the best outcomes. Our pediatric cardiac anesthesiologists provide anesthesia and monitoring for children during:
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Cardiac catheterization procedures
- Computerized tomography (CT) scans
- Congenital heart surgery
- Electrophysiology studies
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans