Radiology and imaging studies help doctors assess internal structures and organ function. These studies provide information about the source of symptoms and how best to treat them. Choosing Children’s Hospital Los Angeles gives your child access to the best available medical imaging and trusted pediatric radiologists.
Radiology and Imaging: Why Choose Us
Children’s Hospital performs more than 130,000 medical imaging studies per year. Patients include some of the most medically fragile newborns as well as children and adolescents with rare diseases. Our concern for each child’s well-being leads to precise imaging and expert interpretations.
Highlights of our program include:
- Broad range of services: Your child has access to the full range of radiology and imaging services in one program. Our offerings include emergency X-rays and specialized magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) studies of the heart. Services also include sophisticated procedures, such as interventional radiology, that help some children avoid surgery. These procedures use small needles and long tubes (catheters) to carry out biopsies and deliver certain treatments.
- Child-friendly services: We provide special services that make radiology and imaging procedures less stressful. Our team includes Child Life specialists who use age-appropriate techniques to calm and comfort your child. Our program is also one of the few in the region with pediatric anesthesiologists who provide sedation when necessary. These services help children feel relaxed and sleepy during the procedure.
- Multidisciplinary care: Pediatric radiologists are typically among many specialists involved in your child’s care. They work alongside other highly skilled experts at Children's Hospital Los Angeles to tailor therapies for complex conditions. Radiologists regularly participate in specialty care conferences where multiple experts determine the best course of care for children with complex conditions.
Nationally Recognized, High-Quality Medical Imaging
It may be worrisome learning that your child needs a radiology or imaging procedure. But at Children’s Hospital, your child receives exceptional care. All our radiologists are Board-certified by the American Board of Radiology, enabling us to tailor medical imaging studies to the unique needs of children.
We provide safe, high-quality medical imaging that includes:
- Pediatric focus: Our pediatric radiologists recommend appropriate imaging based on your child’s needs. These specialists are familiar with how children’s bones and organs differ from those of adults at various stages of development. We also detect subtle signs of disease that can be easy to miss, and accurately interpret what they mean for your child. Meet our team.
- Leading technologies: We use sophisticated scanners to produce clear images free of imperfections. We have some of the latest computed tomography (CT) units, including an ultra-fast scanner. These offerings, coupled with our expertise, help us evaluate complex issues with a high degree of confidence.
- National recognition: Our commitment to medical imaging excellence has earned Children’s Hospital recognition from the American College of Radiology® (ACR). We maintain ACR accreditation for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT) scans, ultrasound and nuclear medicine studies. Accreditation means we follow the highest standards of care.
Radiology and Medical Imaging Leadership
Children’s Hospital is advancing pediatric radiology and imaging practices through research and medical education.
- Radiology and imaging research: The Saban Research Institute is home to breakthrough studies in childhood illnesses. Our research interests include the biologic processes that support bone development in children. Read more about radiology and imaging research.
- Pediatric radiology fellowship: Children’s Hospital is training the next generation of medical imaging specialists. We offer an accredited pediatric radiology fellowship. This opportunity is open to radiologists and neuroradiologists (brain imaging specialists). The curriculum includes clinical rotations, case conferences, research and more.
Comprehensive Radiology and Imaging Services for Children
We offer the full range of radiology and imaging services at one convenient location in Los Angeles. Plan your visit.