Children’s Hospital Los Angeles offers a broad range of pediatric radiology and imaging services. These include specialized options that are not widely available.
Your child has access to the highest quality diagnostic imaging studies. And our reputation for accuracy draws patients from across the region. We use a child-friendly approach and provide special services to make diagnostic imaging more pleasant for patients and families.
Radiology and Imaging Services: Why Choose Us
Our team includes Board-certified pediatric radiologists. We have experts specializing in nuclear medicine, brain imaging (neuroradiology), heart scans and image-guided procedures (interventional radiology). You can count on us for accurate diagnostic imaging. Meet our team.
Highlights of our program include:
- Support for families: Your family’s peace of mind matters, which is why we explain what to expect before, during and after a test or procedure. If you have questions, we provide additional information. Read more about radiology and imaging patient and family resources.
- Focus on comfort: In some cases, it’s safer and more comfortable for children to be asleep (sedated) during imaging studies. This is especially true for longer tests, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans, and studies in younger children. Children’s Hospital is one of the few programs in Southern California offering pediatric sedation for imaging scans. Sedation helps children keep still so we can capture accurate images. Our team includes internationally renowned pediatric anesthesiologists who provide age-appropriate care.
- Timely access: Our team stands ready 24 hours a day to perform emergency scans when necessary. A MRI unit and computed tomography (CT) scanner are steps away from our Emergency Department to help assess acute symptoms. We also offer emergency ultrasound services. Our team schedules urgent cases as quickly as possible. Saturday appointments are available on a limited basis.
Our Commitment to Safe Diagnostic Radiology and Imaging Services
Children’s Hospital radiologists and technologists have taken the Image Gently pledge. This campaign from the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging protects children against unnecessary radiation exposure.
Our commitment to keeping your child safe during diagnostic radiology and imaging procedures includes:
- Appropriate technique: We use the imaging method that offers the greatest benefit with the least amount of radiation. When appropriate, we may use ultrasound instead of X-rays or MRI instead of CT. Ultrasounds and MRIs do not use radiation.
- Advanced technology: Children’s Hospital is home to ultrafast CT scanners. When imaging with radiation is necessary, this technology makes it possible to capture clear, detailed scans using the lowest possible radiation dose.
- Experienced staff: Our team includes radiology technologists with many years of experience. Working under the direction of our pediatric radiologists, they carry out scans with careful attention to detail.
- Continuous improvement: Our team meets the highest pediatric radiology and imaging standards, and we are taking steps to advance the field. Our team conducts regular conferences to review imaging, outcomes and processes with an eye toward improvement.
Our Diagnostic Radiology and Imaging Services
Diagnostic radiology and imaging services we offer include:
- Computed tomography (CT): CT scans take X-rays from multiple angles to create cross-sectional images of organs and vessels. These advanced assessments help many children avoid more invasive methods, such as surgery. Find out more about computed tomography (CT) scans.
- EOS low-radiation X-rays: This technique uses two thin radiation beams and a body scanner. It produces multiple X-rays in seconds. Read more about EOS low-radiation X-rays.
- Interventional radiology: Doctors use these image-guided procedures to diagnose complex conditions. Sometimes, they can deliver treatments in the same procedure. Learn more about our interventional radiology services.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): This test uses a powerful magnet and radio waves to create detailed, 3D images of body structures. Read more about MRI.
- Nuclear medicine: These imaging studies use small amounts of radioactive substances to detect abnormal cell activity and proteins. Get more information about nuclear medicine studies.
- Ultrasound: This test uses soundwaves to produce images of organs and other structures inside the body. Read more about ultrasound and the special options we offer.
- X-ray and fluoroscopy: We take snapshots of bones and joints using X-rays. Fluoroscopy is a sophisticated X-ray that captures moving images of these areas. Learn more about X-ray and fluoroscopy options at Children’s Hospital.
Comprehensive Radiology and Imaging Services for Children
We offer the full range of radiology and imaging studies at our main hospital, in one convenient location. Some of these services are also available at locations throughout the Los Angeles region. Find out more about Radiology and Imaging.