The liver transplant team at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles has decades of experience and great success performing all types of complex liver transplant procedures. Other doctors feel confident sending their patients to us, which is why we’re a top regional referral center for pediatric liver transplants.
We work collaboratively with referring physicians to provide ongoing, comprehensive care to children with life-altering liver conditions—from diagnosis to liver transplantation and into young adulthood.
Liver Transplant Program: Why Refer to Us
We’re a national leader in pediatric liver transplants and have the expertise to help children get the donor livers they need to lead long, happy lives. Pediatric transplant hepatologists in our Liver Transplant Program perform a high volume of pediatric liver transplants and treat complex cases—all with excellent outcomes.
When you refer a pediatric patient to CHLA, they benefit from:
- Advanced care for complex cases: We manage rare and challenging indications for liver transplantation, including metabolic liver diseases, liver cancer and multiple organ failure. You can entrust your patient’s care to us. We get excellent results for the most complicated diagnoses. Learn more about the liver conditions we treat.
- Faster time to transplant: Members of our liver transplant team have experience serving on United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) review boards. We quickly evaluate a child’s need for a liver transplant and fast-track their placement on the national transplant waitlist. Our median wait time for a pediatric liver transplant is approximately 75 days. This timing is significantly shorter than the national wait time of 13 months and the 30-month average wait time at other regional children’s hospitals.
- Successful exception scores: We have great success with exception scores, qualifying pediatric patients with urgent medical needs for transplant priority. An exception score can supersede a patient’s MELD or PELD score to help them get a donor liver faster.
- High survival rates with all types of liver transplants: We perform all types of pediatric liver transplants, including multi-organ transplants and bloodless liver transplants. Our transplant success rates are consistently high with excellent one-year graft and patient survival rates. Learn more about the types of pediatric liver transplants we offer.
- Living donor liver transplants: CHLA is home to one of the country’s most active and successful adult-to-child living donor liver transplant services. About 1 in 3 of our donor livers come from family members, friends or altruistic living donors. Our expertise in transplanting livers from living donors helps a child get a donor liver faster before they become extremely sick. Learn more about living donor liver transplants.
- Dedicated teams for comprehensive liver disease services: We offer dedicated programs, services and clinics for all types of pediatric liver conditions. Patients may receive care at our Liver Care Center, Liver Transplant Clinic, Liver Tumor Program or Pediatric Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Program. Our multidisciplinary teams work together to address every aspect of a child’s health. Meet our team.
- Nationally recognized programs: Our pediatric hepatology program is part of our gastroenterology (GI) and GI surgery program, which U.S. News & World Report rates among the best in the nation. U.S. News also routinely ranks CHLA one of the country’s top children’s hospitals and the best in California.
Research and Clinical Trials
Our liver specialists are active in research and clinical trials to advance the understanding, prevention and treatments of childhood liver diseases. We’re a founding member of the Society of Pediatric Liver Transplantation (SPLIT) and an active participant in the Childhood Liver Disease Research Network (ChiLDReN). CHLA is also a part of multicenter TRIUMPH Study of Pediatric Liver Failure.
Our landmark studies and scientific discoveries are improving outcomes for children who need liver transplants. At CHLA, children with liver conditions have expanded access to clinical trials and promising new therapies.
Pediatric Liver Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Program at CHLA
CHLA doctors train the next generation of pediatric liver transplant experts through our accredited pediatric liver transplant hepatology fellowship. We’re among a select few centers in the country—and the only one in Southern California—that offer this specialized medical training. Our fellows also complete a rotation at King’s College London in England.
Our fellowship program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Learn more about our Pediatric Liver Transplant Hepatology Fellowship Program.
Refer a Patient for a Liver Transplant
CHLA welcomes inquiries and referrals for any pediatric liver disease concern. We also provide second opinions for referring physicians and families.
Contact us to learn how we can help your patient.