The kidney transplant team at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles has decades of experience and great success performing kidney transplants in children. Other doctors entrust their patients’ care to us, making CHLA a top regional referral center for children with kidney disease.
We partner with referring physicians to provide a continuum of care for pediatric patients. This teamwork begins at diagnosis and continues through kidney transplantation and into young adulthood.
Kidney Transplant Program: Why Refer to Us
We’re one of the nation’s leading children’s medical centers for pediatric kidney transplants. Our Kidney Transplant Program performs a large number of pediatric kidney transplants with exceptional outcomes.
When you refer a child with kidney disease to CHLA, they benefit from:
- Shorter transplant wait times: We have some of the shortest wait times for donor kidneys in the nation and state. Close to 40% of our pediatric patients—double the national average—receive a new kidney within the first year of listing. At the three-year mark, 75% of our patients have undergone transplantation.
- Exceptional kidney transplant survival rates: We specialize in complex pediatric kidney transplants. Experts in our human leucocyte antigen (HLA) lab ensure the best organ match, which contributes to our consistently excellent one- and three-year patient survival rates. Learn more about the types of pediatric kidney transplants we offer.
- Living donor kidney transplants: We have a successful adult-to-child living donor kidney transplant program, thanks to our partnership with Keck Medicine of USC. We also facilitate paired kidney exchanges. Learn more about living donor kidney transplants.
- Comprehensive dialysis services: Our dialysis team provides care for one of the largest pediatric outpatient dialysis populations in the country. Families have 24/7 access to a member of our dialysis team. We offer on-site hemodialysis, as well as continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) for infants. In addition, our dialysis nurses teach families how to perform peritoneal dialysis at home. Learn more about our pre-transplant treatments.
- Dedicated teams for comprehensive kidney disease care: Children with all types of kidney conditions receive specialized care at our programs and clinics. Multidisciplinary care teams at our Nephrology Clinic, Kidney Transplant Clinic and Sarcoma and Solid Tumor Program provide collaborative care. Meet our team of experts.
- Nationally recognized programs: U.S. News & World Report rates our pediatric Nephrology and Urology divisions among the best in the country. CHLA is also one of the nation’s top-rated children’s hospitals and the best in California.
Innovative Research and Clinical Trials
CHLA doctors and physician-scientists are active in research to improve the care of children with kidney diseases, including those who get kidney transplants. Our participation in clinical trials means children may benefit from promising new therapies still in development.
Our research efforts include:
- GOFARR Laboratory for Organ Regenerative Research and Cell Therapeutics in Urology: Researchers in our GOFARR Lab are investigating the use of stem cell therapies to treat kidney damage and kidney failure in children.
- HLA lab: We’re studying a new method for using epitope amino acids in HLA typing to select compatible organs. This approach may be especially helpful for children at risk for organ rejection due to high levels of anti-HLA donor-specific antibodies (DSAs).
- The Saban Research Institute: We’re exploring new ways to personalize post-transplant immunosuppression therapy based on a child’s unique risk of organ rejection. Learn more about The Saban Research Institute.
Pediatric Nephrology Fellowship at CHLA
Our doctors help train the next generation of pediatric kidney specialists. Our three-year pediatric nephrology fellowship program provides doctors with clinical experience and research skills in pediatric kidney diseases and care. As one of the nation’s top centers for pediatric kidney transplants, we offer a unique opportunity for nephrology fellows to learn more about transplant medicine. Apply for the CHLA pediatric nephrology fellowship.
Refer a Patient for a Kidney Transplant
CHLA welcomes inquiries and referrals for any pediatric kidney disease concern. We also offer second opinions for referring physicians and families.
Contact us to learn how we can help your patient.