Endocrinology Research for Patients
Our endocrinology team provides exceptional clinical care while also participating in the latest research. We seek new, evidence-based treatments so that we can continually offer your child the very best care.
What Are Endocrinology Clinical Trials?
Clinical trials are scientific studies that advance medical care. During a trial, doctors and researchers test new treatments, as well as find out more about how we can improve outcomes. At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, research drives our care approach.
Benefits of Endocrinology Clinical Trials
Our commitment to research benefits all our patients. Because of our research efforts, we can offer your family:
- Care from doctors at the top of their fields
- Innovative treatments
- Potential access to new therapies
If your child is a candidate for a clinical trial, our research coordinator connects with your family. This specialist explains the treatment and what to expect. If you are interested in clinical trials, please speak with your child’s endocrinologist. If you don’t have a CHLA endocrinologist, please contact us at 323-361-4606 to schedule an appointment.
The level of endocrinology research we do is rare for a pediatric program. Because our clinicians have subspecialty expertise, we can conduct research in niche areas, such as diabetes research or childhood obesity research. At any given time, we have between 40 and 50 open clinical studies.
Research labs are actively integrated into our patient care. Our clinical practice informs what we study and what we study informs how we practice. For example, our researchers participate in the TODAY study, the largest national consortium study to evaluate pediatric Type 2 diabetes. Now in its second decade, this ongoing diabetes research has helped us improve our treatment options.
Some of our other studies include:
- Evaluating beta cell function with the goal of finding an eventual Type 1 diabetes cure
- Expanding telehealth options to increase access to care
- Looking at intermittent fasting and blood sugar to prevent diabetes onset
- Studying how smartphone apps can help patients adhere to weight management plans while reducing health care costs
- Studying how elevated blood sugar disrupts healthy growth and development
- Exploring FDA-approved adult diabetes medications in children
- Investigating precision medicine (medicine based on genetics) to tailor treatment for patients with Type 2 diabetes and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
Find Endocrinology Clinical Trials
We collaborate with experts from the Keck School of Medicine of USC and The Saban Research Institute of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. Our endocrinologists lead and participate in numerous research projects. Find out more about open clinical trials.