Cardiovascular Acute Unit
If your child is recovering from heart surgery or has a heart condition, they may need specialized care and monitoring. Our Cardiovascular (CV) Acute Unit is for children who need close, specialized care from heart experts.
Our CV Acute Unit provides less intense care than our cardiothoracic intensive care unit (CTICU). Your child receives heart monitoring with less medical equipment and more space than our CTICU.
Cardiovascular Acute Unit: Why Choose Us
U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks the Heart Institute among the top children’s cardiology and heart surgery programs in the U.S. Our CV Acute Unit provides specialized care that is an important part of our success.
In our 21-bed, fully monitored unit, you and your child benefit from:
- Faster, safer recovery: Our goal is to help your child recover from heart conditions or surgery safely and quickly. Our team meets monthly to discuss the discharge process and make improvements when needed. Your child can get back to the comfort of your home sooner with our careful monitoring and individualized care.
- Complete and careful monitoring: We monitor each child’s heart rhythm, oxygen level and vital signs 24 hours a day. Your child’s heart telemetry monitor is always connected to the bedside and to our nurses and cardiologists. This constant, close monitoring means we’re always ready to care for your child in any situation.
- Family-centered care: Seventy percent of our CV Acute rooms are private, with extra room for parents to stay overnight with their child. Children can also enjoy our safe, welcoming playroom as they recover.
- Close communication: Our team meets every day to discuss and plan customized care for each child in our unit. The doctors and nurses work hand-in-hand to ensure your child receives seamless care from our entire team.
- Focus on education: We know that parents should be involved in their child’s care. That’s why we make parent and family education a priority. We guide you through:
- Ways you can be involved while your child stays in our unit
- Care and medications your child needs
- How you and your child can manage school and daily life after going home
Our Cardiovascular Acute Unit Team
Our multidisciplinary CV Acute Unit team consists of medical professionals who specialize in children’s heart conditions. Our comprehensive staff includes:
- Cardiothoracic surgeons
- Nurse practitioners
- Registered nurses
- Social workers
- Registered dieticians
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Clinical care coordinators
- Child Life specialists
Heart Conditions We Treat in the Cardiovascular Acute Care Unit
Our CV Acute team specializes in children’s heart monitoring and heart surgery recovery. We manage and treat all types of pediatric heart conditions, from routine to complex, including:
- Arrhythmias (heart rhythm disorders)
- Cardiomyopathies (conditions that affect the heart muscle)
- Congenital (present at birth) heart defects
- Myocarditis (inflammation of the heart)
Some children come to the CV Acute Unit after they leave our CTICU. Others come to us from other hospitals or through the CHLA Emergency Department. Usually, our CV Acute Unit is the last recovery step before children can go home.
Cardiac Critical Care at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
Learn more about how cardiac critical care medicine can support your child.