Leukemia and Lymphoma Program
Leukemia and lymphoma are common childhood cancers that can be complicated to treat. At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, your child is in caring and capable hands. We are one of the largest leukemia and lymphoma programs on the West Coast.
Your child receives comprehensive care, including leading therapies that are not widely available. Our patient- and family-centered approach includes support to help ease your worries and make life a little less stressful during treatment. These are some of the many reasons doctors and parents from across the region put their trust in us.
Leukemia and Lymphoma Program: Why Choose Us
Leukemia and lymphoma care is one of the specialized offerings in CHLA’s internationally renowned Oncology program.
Your child receives services from some of the best and brightest minds in pediatric leukemia and lymphoma care. Our experts have earned respect from doctors worldwide for their contributions to the field, including therapies for resistant leukemia. These offerings give your child the best chances for healing.
Highlights of our program include:
- Team of experts: In addition to pediatric cancer specialists (oncologists), your child receives care from nurse practitioners, social workers, other CHLA specialists and more. Child Life specialists, psychologists, dietitians and physical therapists support your child’s physical and emotional needs. We work together to coordinate services and treatments, so your family can focus on your child. Meet our team.
- Personalized treatments: There is no single approach that works for all children with leukemia and lymphoma. Our experience from treating many patients helps us customize therapies, such as chemotherapy or immunotherapy, to your child’s unique needs. And our careful attention throughout treatment gives them the best chance for good results. Our goal is to give your child the best outcome with the fewest side effects.
- Support: Our support services help your child learn what to expect and how to cope with the stress of living with cancer. We offer dog therapy, art therapy and assistance from Child Life specialists. Social workers and psychologists help your entire family reclaim peace of mind. Find out more about our Survivorship and Supportive Care Program.
- Access to clinical trials: CHLA has a decades-long history of advancing leukemia care through research. We participate in prestigious international clinical trial networks. We also offer early-phase clinical trials that are available only in select programs nationwide. Explore our research and clinical trials.
What Are Leukemia and Lymphoma?
Leukemia is a group of cancers that form in the tissues from which your blood develops. Lymphomas are cancers that occur in the network of tissue glands (lymph nodes) that make up your immune system.
Types of leukemia and lymphoma we treat include:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia
- Acute myeloid leukemia
- Chronic myeloid leukemia
- Juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia
- Hodgkin lymphoma
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Other rare leukemias and lymphomas
Leukemia and Lymphoma Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplants
For children with certain types of leukemia, transplants may offer a cure. These lifesaving treatments replace abnormal blood-producing cells with cells from your child or a healthy donor. CHLA has one of the nation’s largest pediatric bone marrow transplant programs.
We offer exceptional care, including innovative options such as haploidentical (half-match) transplants. We helped pioneer this treatment through clinical trials, leading to safer care and a lower complication risk. Get more information about our Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Center.
CAR T-Cell Therapy for Difficult-to-Treat Leukemia
CHLA is a world leader in chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy. This option is helping more children with leukemias that were previously considered untreatable become cancer-free. Treatment works by using genetically modified cells to help the immune system detect and destroy leukemia cells.
We helped pioneer this treatment through early clinical trials. Our involvement and years of experience enable us to offer a level of care that few centers can match. Find out more about our CAR T-Cell Therapy Program.
Additional Leukemia and Lymphoma Innovation and Research
CHLA has been home to the Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia and Lymphoma (TACL) Consortium since 2005. This international research network is exploring new therapies for leukemias that do not respond to current treatments.
Our efforts give children access to promising new options that may stop leukemia relapses for good. Get more information about TACL.
Oncology Care at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
At Children’s Hospital, your child has access to advanced treatments and leading-edge care for childhood cancers. Learn more about our Oncology programs and services.
The Cancer and Blood Disease Institute welcomes new patients, referrals and second opinions. Please call us to make an appointment.