Sports Medicine Program
The Sports Medicine Program at the nationally ranked Jackie and Gene Autry Orthopedic Center is the only one of its kind in the Greater Los Angeles area. We help all ages and types of athletes with injury recovery and prevention. We also help athletes improve performance.
Who We Help
We work with child, teen and young adult athletes up to age 30 who are involved in:
- School/college sports and activities
- Competitive sports
- Recreational sports and activities
Pediatric Sports Medicine Program: Why Choose Us
At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, we’re known for our expertise in getting injured young athletes back to activities safely and quickly. We offer:
- Top sports medicine specialists
- Comprehensive sports injury treatments
- Athletic trainer program
- Sports analysis lab and mobile unit
- Convenient access to care
Top sports medicine specialists
We bring together knowledgeable sports medicine experts to address all of your child’s athletic needs. Los Angeles Magazine rates our specialists among some of the area’s best. Our pediatric orthopedic surgeons and primary care doctors have advanced fellowship training in pediatric sports medicine. Your child sees a care team that includes an orthopedic doctor and athletic trainer.
Comprehensive sports injury treatments
We offer the latest sports injury treatments to ensure a safe return to athletics. Treatments range from nonsurgical solutions, such as physical therapy and bracing, to surgical treatments after trying all other options. Athletes with concussions receive the highest level care at our Sports Concussion Clinic.
Athletic trainer program
Athletic trainers play a big role in helping young athletes recover and perform better. At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, your child receives care from orthopedic doctors, while athletic trainers provide valuable assistance. We also have:
- Children’s Hospital athletic trainers on staff at school and competitive sports programs
- Continuing medical education (CME) programs for athletic trainers
Sports analysis lab and mobile unit
We provide state-of-the-art 3D biomechanical analysis of an athlete in motion to promote injury recovery and prevent new injuries. Up to 200 teen and young adult athletes come to our accredited Motion and Sports Analysis Lab every year. For more convenient testing, we also have a mobile lab — the first of its kind on the West Coast. We bring this mobile unit directly to schools and teams.
Lab information helps:
- Identify problem areas so athletes can modify movements to prevent injuries or reinjuries
- Ensure the best surgical and treatment approach
- Gauge treatment progress and success
- Safely return an athlete to physical activities
Convenient access to care
Athletes recovering from injuries may require extra follow-up appointments and care. For your convenience, we have:
- On-site orthotic services: We can immediately fit your child for braces, boots, crutches and other devices, including the adjustable, waterproof Exos brace.
- Rehabilitation services: Our occupational and physical therapists help injured athletes recover. We use surface electromyography (EMG), a noninvasive test, to assess muscle function and ensure your child performs exercises correctly to get the maximum benefits.
- Countywide clinics: Our specialty care centers offer same- and next-day appointments. Services include X-rays and other diagnostic tests on-site.
Research and Conferences
Our doctors are active in research to find better ways to treat and prevent sports injuries. Hundreds of clinical research studies take place every year at Children’s Hospital. Our experts share their knowledge with other sports medicine specialists at CHLA-hosted continuing medical education (CME) events held throughout the year.
Our Community Partners
We proudly support our communities by offering an array of services, such as:
- Workshops and educational programs for coaches, parents and players
- Certified athletic trainers who staff high school and league games
- Concierge-style services for schools and leagues to fast-track injured athletes into our care
Learn more about our community partnerships.
Sports Injuries We Treat
We treat all types of sports-related injuries, including:
- Fractures, including stress fractures
- Growth plate injuries
- Knee injuries, including ACL tears, meniscus tears and dislocated kneecaps
- Hip labral tears and impingement
- Overuse injuries
- Ankle injuries
- Shoulder injuries, including dislocations and throwing injuries
- Elbow injuries, including osteochondritis dissecans and throwing injuries