Pediatric Fracture Clinic
Broken bones in children are a common occurrence. But there’s nothing routine about their treatment. Growing children are especially at risk for growth plate fractures, which can stunt a bone’s growth and affect limb length. Some broken bones don’t heal properly (malunion) or won’t heal at all (nonunion). Proper treatment is key to preventing permanent limb deformities.
Pediatric Fracture Clinic: Why Choose Us
At the Pediatric Fracture Clinic at the nationally ranked Children’s Orthopaedic Center, we treat all types of broken bones in children. Your child gets:
- Ongoing care: Complex fractures can damage surrounding ligaments, bones and joints. These fractures may require immediate surgery through our Pediatric Orthopaedic Trauma and Fracture Program. Growth plate fractures also require specialized care. To ensure these fractures heal properly, we see your child on a regular basis for several years after treatment.
- Advanced diagnostics: We have the most tools in the area for diagnosing broken bones in children. Some fractures may be evaluated with our EOS low-radiation imaging system to minimize your child’s exposure to harmful rays.
- Cool casts: We make getting a cast more fun. Our cast technicians and pediatric orthopaedic surgeons create fun cast designs featuring sports team and animated characters. Our cast technicians are exceptionally skilled at putting nervous children at ease. To make the cast removal process less scary, kids wear headphones to block out the noise.
- Easy access to medical equipment: We have representatives from medical device companies on-site to fit your child for crutches, boots, braces or other equipment.
- Occupational therapy: Our occupational therapists can help your child master daily tasks like getting dressed and bathing while wearing a cast.
Injuries and bone breaks never happen at a good time. We make it easier for your child to get fast care. We have:
- Immediate walk-in appointments, as well as scheduled clinic visits, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 24/7 emergency fracture care at our Emergency Department, which is a Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center.
- Specialty care centers throughout Los Angeles County for follow-up care, including X-rays.
Fractures and Broken Bones We Treat
We treat all types of fractures, including:
- Closed fractures
- Growth plate fractures
- Malunions (bones that heal in the wrong position)
- Nonunions (broken bones that won’t heal)
- Stress fractures
- Bone infections