Kids N Fitness©
Kids N Fitness© is an evidence-based, six-week weight management program for children ages 8-16 experiencing overweight and obesity and their parents. The 1.5 hour-weekly class consists of interactive nutrition education, physical activity, and parent seminars. The entire family is welcome and encouraged to attend. Kids N Fitness© was developed in 2000 to help meet the health needs of children and youth.
Our main goal is to prevent and reduce the complications stemming from childhood obesity by providing children and their families the tools necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- Promote healthier eating habits and daily physical activity (whether you call it exercise or active play!)
- Provide support and motivation for families as they make incremental changes to foster a healthier lifestyle
- Reduce weight gain velocity
Our staff is experienced in providing engaging lessons for the entire family. Families that participate in the program will experience:
- Interactive nutrition lessons
- Grocery store tour
- Healthy cooking tips
- Health-related goal setting
- Personalized feedback
- Fun weekly incentives
Who Can Participate in Kids N Fitness
- Children with a BMI at or above the 85th percentile
- Age 8-16 years
- Able to ambulate and participate in vigorous physical activity for 45 minutes
- Children and teens with at least one parent/guardian who is willing to attend an orientation and all six classes with the child
Why a Child May Not Qualify for Our Program
- Children with medical conditions that do not allow them to be physically active
- Children with behavioral or developmental disabilities that may not focus in a group setting
- A medical clearance from primary care doctor is required
As part of our ongoing investigation of program efficacy, we evaluate key health indicators such as participants’ body mass index (BMI), body fat percentage, blood pressure, waist circumference and nutrition knowledge.
Kids N Fitness© has been successfully implemented in hospital, community and school settings. This program is available for license from Children's Hospital Los Angeles. Children's Hospital Los Angeles will provide instructor manuals (designed for health educators, teachers and dietitians) with complete curriculum, eight hours of training, sample of incentives and updates thereof for a two-year period. For information on licensing please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org or 323-361-8245.
- Related Video
- Upcoming Events
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we are currently suspending all in-person classes. Virtual sessions are soon to come. Feel free to continue sending referrals to be placed on a wait list.
- Improvement in Risk Factors for Metabolic Syndrome and Insulin Resistance in Overweight Youth who are Treated with Lifestyle Intervention
- Feasibility of a Hospital-based, Family-Centered Intervention to Reduce Weight Gain in Overweight Children and Adolescents
- Kids N Fitness: A Group-based Pediatric Weight Management Curriculum Adapted for a Clinical Care Model
To be announced