Kids N Fitness©
Kids N Fitness© is an evidence-based, six-week weight management program for overweight and obese children ages 8-16, and their parents. The 1.5 hour weekly class consists of interactive nutrition education, physical activity and parent seminars. The entire family is welcome and encouraged to attend. Kids N Fitness© was developed in 2000 as a response to the obesity epidemic.
- Reduce weight gain in overweight and obese youth
- Promote healthier eating habits, more frequent exercise, and a reduction in the behaviors that encourage weight gain
- Provide support and motivation for families as they make incremental changes to foster a healthier lifestyle
Our staff is experienced in providing engaging lessons for the entire family. Families that choose to participate in the program can look forward to:
- Interactive nutrition lessons
- Understanding food labels
- Healthy goal setting
- Personalized feedback
- Grocery store tour
- A support system to guide behavior change
- Healthy cooking tips
- Fun weekly incentives
Currently one in three children are clinically overweight or obese. Our goal is to prevent and reduce the complications stemming from childhood obesity by giving children and their families the tools necessary to make better lifestyle choices.
Who Can Participate in Kids N Fitness or Kids N Fitness Junior
- Children with a BMI at or above the 85th percentile
- Age 3-16 years
- Able to ambulate and participate in vigorous physical activity for 45 minutes.
- Children and teens with at least one parent/guardian who is willing to attend an orientation and all six classes with the child, including a follow-up session three months later
Why a Child May Not Qualify for Our Program
- Children with medical conditions that do not allow them to be physically active
- Children with behavioral issues or developmental disabilities that make them disruptive in a group setting
- Children with diabetes, hypertension secondary to another disease, a medical condition that may affect their blood pressure and children who are taking certain medications
As part of our ongoing investigation of program efficacy, we evaluate key health indicators such as participants’ BMI, body fat percentage, blood pressure, waist circumference and nutrition knowledge.
Kids N Fitness Jr.
Our current research is geared towards younger children. We are now piloting Kids N Fitness Jr., an adapted version of Kids N Fitness, designed for overweight children ages three to seven, and their families.
Kids N Fitness© has been successfully implemented in hospital, community and school settings. This program is available for license from Children's Hospital Los Angeles. Children's Hospital Los Angeles will provide instructor manuals (designed for health educators, teachers and dietitians) with complete curriculum, eight hours of training, sample of incentives and updates thereof for a two-year period. For information on licensing please contact Megan Lipton-Inga at firstname.lastname@example.org or 323-361-5423.
- Related Video
- Volunteer Opportunity
- Upcoming Events
- Kids N Fitness Flyer (English)
- Kids N Fitness Flyer (Spanish)
- Kids N Fitness Junior Flyer (English)
- Kids N Fitness Junior Flyer (Spanish)
- Medical Release Form
For additional information, please contact Brenda Manzanarez at email@example.com or 323-361-8245.
The Diabetes & Obesity Program at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is looking for energetic volunteers who are interested and would like to help with the Kids N Fitness© program. The Kids N Fitness© program is a six-week family weight management program for kids ages 3-16 and their parents. We are currently looking for volunteers to help facilitate the classes and provide some administrative support. Volunteers will be working with both kids and parents, and should be passionate about both nutrition and physical activity. Ideal candidates would have prior experience working with children and adolescents in a group setting, be dynamic, show initiative, and be looking for an opportunity to get hands on experience. Volunteers with Spanish language skills are also a plus.
Some volunteer tasks include providing motivation and support to the family, taking measurements, leading exercises and games, assisting the primary instructor with nutrition activities, preparing a healthy snack, and help with classroom set up and break down.
Volunteers must commit to being present for every class in a session (total of six classes), as well as a 1 hour orientation at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles prior to starting the class. Preference will be given to volunteers who can commit to more than one session. Classes are held on either Wednesday evenings from 4:30-7:00 p.m. (children ages 8-16) or Saturday mornings from 10:00-11:30 a.m. (children ages 3-7). Training will be provided. Volunteers must pass a background check and health screen required by Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
For more information about Kids N Fitness or volunteer opportunities, please contact:
Brenda Manzanarez, RD
To be announced