Kids N Fitness©
Kids N Fitness© is an evidence-based, six-week weight management program for overweight and obese children ages 8-16, and their parents. The 1.5 hour weekly class consists of interactive nutrition education, physical activity and parent seminars. The entire family is welcome and encouraged to attend. Kids N Fitness© was developed in 2000 as a response to the obesity epidemic.
- Reduce weight gain in overweight and obese youth
- Promote healthier eating habits, more frequent exercise, and a reduction in the behaviors that encourage weight gain
- Provide support and motivation for families as they make incremental changes to foster a healthier lifestyle
Our staff is experienced in providing engaging lessons for the entire family. Families that choose to participate in the program can look forward to:
- Interactive nutrition lessons
- Understanding food labels
- Healthy goal setting
- Personalized feedback
- Grocery store tour
- A support system to guide behavior change
- Healthy cooking tips
- Fun weekly incentives
Currently one in three children are clinically overweight or obese. Our goal is to prevent and reduce the complications stemming from childhood obesity by giving children and their families the tools necessary to make better lifestyle choices.
Who Can Participate in Kids N Fitness
- Children with a BMI at or above the 85th percentile
- Age 8-16 years
- Able to ambulate and participate in vigorous physical activity for 45 minutes
- Children and teens with at least one parent/guardian who is willing to attend an orientation and all six classes with the child
Why a Child May Not Qualify for Our Program
- Children with medical conditions that do not allow them to be physically active
- Children with behavioral issues or developmental disabilities that make them disruptive in a group setting
- A medical clearance from primary care doctor is required
As part of our ongoing investigation of program efficacy, we evaluate key health indicators such as participants’ BMI, body fat percentage, blood pressure, waist circumference and nutrition knowledge.
Kids N Fitness© has been successfully implemented in hospital, community and school settings. This program is available for license from Children's Hospital Los Angeles. Children's Hospital Los Angeles will provide instructor manuals (designed for health educators, teachers and dietitians) with complete curriculum, eight hours of training, sample of incentives and updates thereof for a two-year period. For information on licensing please contact Megan Lipton-Inga at firstname.lastname@example.org or 323-361-5423.
- Related Video
- Upcoming Events
To be announced