Global Health Program- International Patient Services
About the Global Health Program- International Patients
As a top pediatric health care provider in the United States, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles provides comprehensive, award-winning care to children and adolescents globally in various specialty clinics. We have treated patients from across six continents and 65 countries. The Global Health Program- International Patients was created to coordinate, oversee and expand global efforts at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. Our team is dedicated to helping you get the treatment your child deserves.
Children's Hospital Los Angeles is among the elite 3 percent of all pediatric hospitals in the United States, ranked No. 6 nationally, No. 1 on the West Coast, and No. 1 in California by the prestigious U.S. News & World Report's Best Children's Hospital survey for 2017-18.
Our physicians are recognized in providing outstanding care in all pediatric specialties. Children's Hospital Los Angeles was ranked highly in all 10 categories of clinical expertise in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- Cardiology and Heart Surgery
- Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Gastroenterology and GI Surgery
- Neurology and Neurosurgery
Also, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is recognized by Magnet Recognition Program for providing the very best in nursing care.
How We Can Help Your Family
- Find information on the services, programs and physicians at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Schedule appointment with the right physician to care for your medical needs
- Obtain treatment plan with estimated medical costs
- Complete the medical documents required for immigration
- Obtain interpretation services for basic medical documents created while your child is in our hospital for care
- Receive transportation, housing and other services support
- Obtain information on popular places to visit in Los Angeles
The Global Health Program was created to coordinate, oversee, and expand global efforts at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. We serve as the gateway for international patient referrals, remote second opinions, and telehealth consultations.
- How to Make an Appointment
- Program Development
- Lopez Family Foundation International Telehealth Program
- Travel to Los Angeles
Please review the referral process to understand what is needed to obtain an appointment for evaluation or care at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
- Intake Form - Provide a completed international patient intake form for the Global Health Program.
- Medical Records - You will be asked to submit a complete package of your child’s medical records (with all portions of the record translated into English).
- Medical Team Evaluation - Once our physicians have reviewed your child's records, the medical team will determine if they will be able to provide care for your child.
- Cost Estimate - Based on the proposed evaluation and treatment recommendations, our hospital will provide a cost estimate for the anticipated services.
- Payment Coordination - To secure an appointment with our physicians, you will be asked to make a deposit for your upcoming visit. We accept wire transfers and credit cards via Flywire, as well as international medical insurance. Make payment now at chla.flywire.com.
- Scheduling an Appointment - After we have received the deposit, our team will work with the family and our medical clinics to schedule an appointment for evaluation or care. A letter of appointment will be issued to the family.
The Global Health Program at Children's Hospital Los Angeles provides consulting services in program development for organizations in other countries.
Examples of such services include provision of consultative services for the design, planning and implementation of new healthcare facilities; development of new programs for different clinical specialties; and development of education and training programs for physicians, nurses and allied health professionals.
The Global Health Program has experience in providing services to organizations throughout the following regions:
- Middle East
- South America
We prepare the future generations of physicians, nurses and administrators globally by sharing our standards and expertise in pediatric care.
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is one of only a handful of pediatric residency programs that has a formal global health training program. The Global Health Track offers a unique opportunity for residents to work on the front lines of global pediatric clinical care. The Division of Infectious Diseases, with combined efforts by General Pediatrics, has established partnerships with local and international institutions and faculty to meet resident needs and interests. Please visit Global Health Track.
About fifty clinicians (physicians and nurses) from outside the United States visit Children’s Hospital Los Angeles to observe the practice of our exceptional clinicians each year. This education opportunity often leads the international observers to be valuable medical leaders in their home countries.
Also, our clinicians participate in educational programs in many international locations.
Some of the programs they are involved with globally include:
- Creating an annual international physician course for hematology-oncology at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Creating a customized nursing observership curriculum at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles for international nursing observers
- Creating a postgraduate teaching program on diabetes coursework in India
- Organizing a resident and faculty exchange program with The Saban Pediatric Center at Soroka Medical Center in Ber-Sheva, Israel
- Establishing a medical student exchange program with Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine in Seoul, South Korea
If you are interested in exploring educational opportunities, please email us.
Through our International Telehealth Program, our international patients are able to receive their follow up care through telehealth, which allows them to effectively manage their health condition without having to travel far distances. They are also able to send their medical records and/or imaging studies for remote second opinion consultation by the appropriate Children’s Hospital Los Angeles specialist.
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is equipped with state-of-the-art telehealth technologies and has the appropriate infrastructure to be able to connect any patient from anywhere in the world. We provide the following services through our telehealth program:
- Telehealth consultation with a specialist (e.g., Tele-Genetics)
- Remote second opinion for complex pediatric cases/imaging studies (e.g., Tele-Radiology)
- Distance learning education such as grand rounds, keynote lectures, case conferences/discussions (e.g., Tele-Education)
If you are interested in obtaining our telehealth services or partnering with our telemedicine program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, in partnership with the Lopez Family Foundation, launched the Lopez Family Foundation International Telehealth Program in September 2010. The program provides specialized health care services to approach the needs of children globally -- with an initial focus in Latin America -- through innovative videoconferencing technology.
The first collaborations between Children’s Hospital Los Angeles' Global Health Program- International Patients and the Lopez Family Foundation have focused on establishing a telehealth presence in Puerto Rico and Panama. Together, we look to expand the telehealth network to areas in need around the globe.
Learn more about the Lopez Family Foundation International Telehealth Program.
Los Angeles is a sprawling Southern California city and the center of the nation’s film and television industry. Children's Hospital Los Angeles is near the iconic Hollywood sign, studios such as Paramount Pictures, Universal and Warner Brothers offer behind-the-scenes tours. On Hollywood Boulevard, TCL Chinese Theatre displays celebrities’ hand- and footprints, the Walk of Fame honors thousands of luminaries and vendors sell maps to stars’ homes.
The Pacific Ocean and some of the famous beaches in Los Angeles are located approximately 20 miles away.
Less than an hour away, you can take your family to Disneyland, Disney California Adventure, Knott's Berry Farm or Orange County.
Travel and Housing
- Driving directions
- Parking information
- Housing accommodations
- Los Angeles International Airport
- U.S. Currency Converter
Information about Los Angeles
Cultural and Religious Support
Security for Dignitaries
If your family requires higher levels of security, we can provide our hospital’s experienced security team to support your family for the duration of your visit, from the moment you arrive at the airport through the entire time that your child receives care at our hospital.
Nonstop Flights to LAX
- Air China, Cathay Pacific, China Eastern, Korean Air, United Airlines
- Emirates, Saudi Airlines
- Aeroflot, Air New Zealand, Air France, Air Tahiti Nui, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Iberia, KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss, United Airlines, Virgin Atlantic
- Aeromexico, American Airlines, US Airways