The thyroid is a gland in the neck that produces hormones. Any condition that affects this gland can lead to a thyroid disorder. At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, our team provides comprehensive care for thyroid conditions.
U.S. News & World Report ranks us as one of the leading pediatric endocrinology programs in the country.The same report lists CHLA among the top 10 children’s hospitals in the nation and No. 1 in California. Endocrinologists are experts in hormones, and our specialized endocrinologists lead the Pediatric Thyroid Clinic.
Pediatric Thyroid Clinic: Why Choose Us
Highlights of our Pediatric Thyroid Clinic include:
- Multidisciplinary team: A team approach leads to well-rounded treatment plans. Your child may work with expert doctors and nurses in endocrinology, otolaryngology or radiology, to name a few. We can care for your child from diagnosis to long-term management or surgery, if needed.
- Comprehensive support: Your child’s care team also includes the expertise of a dietitian. This specialist discusses nutrition and weight management plans with your family. Social workers can help you navigate insurance questions, find community resources and connect with therapy options.
- Advanced care and exceptional outcomes: We offer unique, advanced treatment options. For example, we are one of only a handful of institutions in the country that offers radioactive iodine therapy, a treatment to specifically target thyroid cancer.
What Are Pediatric Thyroid Disorders?
Thyroid disorders include all conditions that affect your child’s thyroid. The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland at the front of your child’s neck. It produces hormones that help regulate:
- Blood pressure
- Body temperature
- Heart rate
- Metabolism (how efficiently the body uses calories for energy)
If anything interferes with your child’s thyroid function, your child may experience:
- Difficulty regulating body temperature
- Digestive problems
- Growth problems or poor growth
- Weight loss or gain
Conditions We Treat
We offer advanced care for all conditions that affect your child’s thyroid, including:
- Graves’ disease
- Hashimoto’s disease
- Hyperthyroidism in children
- Hypothyroidism in children
- Thyroid cancer
- Thyroid nodules
Pediatric Thyroid Treatment
If your child has a thyroid disorder or a thyroid tumor, our specialists can help. Our experts create personalized treatment plans that include medications, diet plans and other therapies. Learn more about pediatric thyroid treatment.