Long COVID Recovery Care
Children who get COVID-19 often experience mild symptoms or no symptoms at all. But some have issues that linger long after the infection clears, a new condition called long COVID, or sometimes referred to as long-haul COVID. These issues, which include unusual tiredness, affect your child’s daily life. Symptoms and their effects are sometimes hard to describe, leaving you uncertain about what to do.
Children's Hospital Los Angeles is among the few hospitals in California offering pediatric long COVID services. Our nationally recognized infectious disease specialists, who are at the leading edge of pediatric long-haul COVID care, guide your child’s recovery.
What is long COVID?
Experts are still exploring what causes long COVID. One theory is that the body gets worn out from fighting a complex infection. Your child may want to get back to daily activities, but doing so can be challenging because the body is working hard to recover. Children with long COVID typically get better, but it takes time.
Lingering symptoms that may suggest long COVID after COVID-19 include:
- Anxiety and depression
- Brain fog or memory loss
- Diarrhea, vomiting or constipation
- Headaches and other types of pain
- Shortness of breath
- Sleep disorders
- Unusual tiredness or muscle weakness
Long COVID Recovery Care: Why choose us
Even though long COVID is a new condition, we have the right experts to lead your child’s care. We are among an elite group of children’s hospitals establishing long COVID pediatric care practices. Our team includes renowned specialists who use leading methods to reduce symptoms and protect your child against complications.
Highlights of our program include:
- Expertise: Pediatric infectious disease doctors coordinate your child’s care. Our team includes respected physicians, many with decades of experience. These doctors have made contributions to the field through research and have international reputations. Meet our Infectious Diseases team.
- Team approach: Cardiologists, sleep medicine doctors and other specialists work together to coordinate additional tests and treatments. We are in regular communication to manage even the smallest details of your child’s care. And our connections to other national experts help us stay on top of pediatric long COVID developments.
- Access to clinical trials: CHLA’s participation in research and clinical trials gives your child access to new therapies years before they are widely available. We are among a select few hospitals participating in long COVID trials sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. Find out more about clinical research studies at CHLA.
- Prevention: You can lower your child’s risk of experiencing long-haul COVID with a vaccine. It is available for children as young as 12. Talk to your child’s pediatrician to learn more. Get more information about COVID-19 vaccines and kids.
Is Long COVID Recovery Care right for my child?
Long COVID services are for children who have had a confirmed case of COVID-19, regardless of whether there were symptoms at the time of infection, or live with people who had confirmed COVID-19.
Additionally, children eligible for Long COVID services need to have experienced one of the following:
- Have new health concerns that began during or shortly after COVID-19
- Are experiencing long COVID symptoms, including tiring easily or poor concentration, for four weeks or more after having COVID-19
- Have long COVID symptoms or new health concerns that interfere with everyday life
Long COVID treatment for children: What to expect
We perform a thorough evaluation to learn more about your child’s symptoms and determine how our team can help. Care may include referrals to other Children’s Hospital pediatric specialists in:
- Adolescent and young adult medicine
- Behavioral health
- Pulmonology and sleep medicine
- Social work
Treatments can ease symptoms and lower the risk of complications. The right therapies for your child depend on individual symptoms and how they affect daily life. We also help your child safely transition back to daily activities as recovery progresses.
Comprehensive Infectious Disease Care
At Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, your child has access to the full range of tests and treatments in one convenient location in Los Angeles. Find out more about Infectious Diseases services.