About Our Toy Donation Program
We welcome your toy donations for our patients. You can’t imagine the difference your gift can make to a hospitalized patient. To make your drop off as convenient as possible, please call ahead (323-361-8397) to schedule your delivery and we can meet you at the designated drop off area.
We are available to personally accept your donation Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Unfortunately, we are not available on weekends or during the evening hours.
Toy Donation Guidelines
To help us maintain patient safety and well-being, we ask that you follow the criteria below:
- To prevent infection, we only accept new and unwrapped items. Additionally, unwrapped gifts ensure that infants, children and adolescents are receiving gifts which are appropriate to their age and developmental levels.
- Toys should be sturdy and free of any parts which may pinch
- All craft materials (markers, glue, paints, etc.) must be non-toxic
Our Wish Lists
Items Needed the Most
(Quantities of 30 or more are greatly appreciated when possible)
- Baby rattles
- Digital thermometers
- Interactive crib toys/musicals; mobiles that are not cloth/plush based
- Generic coloring books –- no holiday reference
- Soft baby dolls –- appropriate for children under three years old
- Crayons –- all sizes. We have found that Crayola and PlaySkool work the best for our patients.
- Markers and colored pencils –- all sizes
- Super hero action figures
- White artist paper
- Hello Kitty items
- Bubbles (bottles with no attachments)
- Craft and bead kits
- Play-Doh (jars with no attachments)
- Pop-up toys (cause and effect)
- UNO cards
- Bath & Body Works sets for older girls (please no body sprays)
- L.A. sports team sports swag
- Baby rattles
- Balls—footballs, soccer, volleyballs
Items We Cannot Accept
- Plush, stuffed animals or any items with small pellets
- Knitted or crocheted items such as beanies, blankets, clothing
- VHS tapes
- Wooden items
- Glass or brittle plastic toys which can easily break and leave sharp edges
- Flowers, edible gifts and holiday treats
- Any items that promote violent and aggressive behavior including video games and DVDS
Can I deliver my gifts to patients directly?
No. Unfortunately, due to infection control and privacy policies, you will not be able to deliver your gifts to patients directly.
Gift Cards: The New Toy Drive
Space in the hospital to store all the wonderful toys is at a premium; as such we kindly recommend holding a “Gift Card” drive, instead of a traditional toy drive whenever possible. Gift cards allow us to maximize your gift to our patients because they provide our staff with the flexibility to make “on-demand” toy purchases. In order of importance, we would greatly appreciate the cards listed below:
If a particular patient would benefit less from a toy and more from an educational game, book or personal choice, we like to offer a gift card to that patient. Below are some popular choices:
- Amazon: $20- $25 increments
- Target: $15 - $50 increments
- iTunes: $15 - $25 increments
- Movie Theaters: Regal, Edwards, AMC, Fandango
How Do I Send/ Deliver My Donation?
We want to make it as easy as possible for you to drop off your donation.
Schedule a drop off appointment
Please call ahead at 323-361-8397 to schedule an appointment with our volunteers to drop off your donation. Unfortunately, we are unable to pick up any donated items.
Gift cards may be delivered in person or mailed to us at the following address:
Volunteer Resources Department
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd. #64
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Thank you for your generosity!