About Our Toy Donation Program
We welcome your toy donations for our patients. You can’t imagine the difference your gift can make to a hospitalized patient.
Toy Donation Guidelines
To help us maintain patient safety and well-being, we ask that you follow the criteria below:
- To prevent infection, we only accept new and unwrapped items. Additionally, unwrapped gifts ensure that infants, children and adolescents are receiving gifts which are appropriate to their age and developmental levels.
- Toys should be sturdy and free of any parts which may pinch
- All craft materials (markers, glue, paints, etc.) must be non-toxic
Seasonal Wish List
- Valentine’s Day Card Craft kits – receivable until February 11th
Year-round Wish List
Items Needed the Most
(Quantities of 30 or more are greatly appreciated when possible)
- Baby rattles
- Digital thermometers
- Interactive crib toys/musicals; mobiles that are not cloth/plush based
- Generic coloring books –- no holiday reference
- Soft baby dolls –- appropriate for children under three years old
- Markers and colored pencils –- all sizes
- Small White Boards with Dry-erase Markers (size 8.5" x 11")
- Super hero action figures
- White artist paper
- Hello Kitty items
- Bubbles (bottles with no attachments)
- Craft and bead kits
- Play-Doh (jars with no attachments)
- Pop-up toys (cause and effect)
- UNO cards
- Bath & Body Works sets for older girls (please no body sprays)
- L.A. sports team sports swag
- Balls—footballs, soccer, volleyballs
Items We Cannot Accept
- Plush, stuffed animals or any items with small pellets
- Knitted or crocheted items such as beanies, blankets, clothing
- VHS tapes
- Wooden items
- Glass or brittle plastic toys which can easily break and leave sharp edges
- Flowers, edible gifts and holiday treats
- Any items that promote violent and aggressive behavior including video games and DVDS
If you are planning to host a toy drive click here for a downloadable template.
How Do I Send/ Deliver My Donation?
We accept donations Monday through Friday by appointment only during business hours with the exception of Holidays. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office to schedule your drop-off time. Unfortunately, we are unable to pick up any donated items.
Can I deliver my gifts to patients directly?
No. Unfortunately, due to infection control and privacy policies, you will not be able to deliver your gifts to patients directly.
Gift Cards: The New Toy Drive
Space in the hospital to store all the wonderful toys is at a premium; as such we kindly recommend holding a “Gift Card” drive, instead of a traditional toy drive whenever possible. Gift cards allow us to maximize your gift to our patients because they provide our staff with the flexibility to make “on-demand” toy purchases. In order of importance, we would greatly appreciate the cards listed below:
If a particular patient would benefit less from a toy and more from an educational game, book or personal choice, we like to offer a gift card to that patient. Below are some popular choices:
- Amazon: $20- $25 increments
- Target: $15 - $50 increments
- iTunes: $15 - $25 increments
- Movie Theaters: Regal, Edwards, AMC, Fandango
Gift cards may be delivered in person or mailed to us at the following address:
Volunteer Resources Department
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd. #64
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Thank you for your generosity!