About Our Toy Donation Program
We welcome your toy donations for our patients. You can’t imagine the difference your gift can make to a hospitalized patient.
Toy Donation Guidelines
To help us maintain patient safety and well-being, we ask that you follow the criteria below:
- To prevent infection, we only accept new and unwrapped items.
- Toys should be sturdy and free of any parts which may pinch
- All craft materials (markers, glue, paints, etc.) must be non-toxic
- If the items don’t fall within our guidelines or are unsafe/inappropriate for our patients, we reserve the right to politely decline your donation.
Items We Cannot Accept
- Toy collections even if they have been well preserved
- Plush, stuffed animals or any items with small pellets
- Anything handmade such as knitted or crocheted items such as beanies, blankets, clothing
- No oversized toys, ie ride-able vehicles, large doll houses/doll vehicles or other oversized items
- VHS tapes
- Wooden items
- Glass or brittle plastic toys which can easily break and leave sharp edges
- Flowers, edible gifts and holiday treats
- Any items that promote violent and aggressive behavior including video games and DVDS
Seasonal Wish List
- Valentine’s Day Card Kits – accepting items until Feb. 11
- Spring Baskets – premade, not accepting handmade baskets; accepting until April 6
Year-round Wish List
Click here for a link to our registry, you may buy and ship our wish-list items directly to us from the links on the site.
Items Needed the Most
(Quantities of 30 or more are greatly appreciated when possible)
- Generic coloring books –- no holiday/spiritual references
- Crayons (Crayola brand preferred), Markers and colored pencils –- all sizes
- Play-Doh (cans with no attachments)
- Baby rattles
- Baby mirrors
- Infant Toys (0-2 year olds)
- Musical Toys (cause and effect)
- Pop-up toys (cause and effect)
- Bubbles (4 oz bottle or smaller)
- Super hero action figures
- Barbie dolls
- Hard-body baby dolls (please no plush/soft-body dolls)
- Craft and bead kits
- Educational/Science Kits
- Table Top Games – especially UNO cards and Playing Cards
- Small White Boards with Dry-erase Markers (size 8.5" x 11")
- Beauty Kits (Make-up and Lotion kits) for older patients (No body sprays)
- Earbuds & Headphones for older patients
- L.A. sports team sports swag
If you are planning to host a toy drive click here for a downloadable template.
Volunteer Resources does not receive literary books for our Toy room, simply coloring/activity books. If you would like to donate reading books, please contact the Literally Healing Department at 323-361-4312 or LiterallyHealing@chla.usc.edu. Their office will be able to give you their most up-to-date wish list and facilitate the book donation. You may also visit their webpage for more information here.
How Do I Send/ Deliver My Donation?
Unfortunately, we are unable to pick up any donated items.
For 2020 Donations
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a donation form and a drop-off time.
After we receive your donation form, we will schedule a 30-minute drop-off time at our loading dock if your items are new and unused. The drop-off can be scheduled for any time Monday through Friday, from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. We do not have weekend drop-off slots.
If you prefer to mail us your donation of brand-new items, you may send your gifts to the following address:
Children's Hospital Los Angeles – TOY DONATION
4650 Sunset Blvd., MS #64, Volunteer Resources Dept.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
You may also click here for a link to our registry. You can buy and ship our wish-list items directly from the links on the site.
Can I deliver my gifts to patients directly?
No. Unfortunately, due to infection control and privacy policies, you will not be able to deliver your gifts to patients directly.
Gift Cards: The New Toy Drive
Space in the hospital to store all the wonderful toys is at a premium; as such we kindly recommend holding a “Gift Card” drive, instead of a traditional toy drive whenever possible. Gift cards allow us to maximize your gift to our patients because they provide our staff with the flexibility to make “on-demand” toy purchases. Also, if a particular patient would benefit less from a toy and more from an educational game, book or personal choice, we like to offer a gift card to that patient. Below are some popular choices:
- Amazon: $25 increments
- Target: $25 increments
- Movie Theaters: Regal, Edwards, AMC, Fandango
Gift cards may be delivered in person or mailed to us at the following address:
Volunteer Resources Department
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd. #64
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Thank you for your generosity!