Give by midnight, Nov. 28, and your gift will be DOUBLED for kids! For every gift of $35 or more, a special My Paw in Yours Puppy will go to a patient.
Colorectal and Pelvic Anomalies Information for Medical Professionals
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles delivers the highest level of care for colorectal and pelvic anomalies. We regularly treat the most complex conditions and maintain exceptional outcomes. Patients have access to tests and treatments that are not widely available in the Western U.S. These are some of the many reasons referring providers turn to us.
Our colorectal and pelvic anomaly experts welcome the opportunity to take part in your patient’s care. Whether it’s a consultation or you would like us to take over the case, our multidisciplinary team can help.
Colorectal Center: Why Choose Us
With colorectal and pelvic anomalies, some children experience chronic constipation and urinary retention, while others struggle with incontinence. These conditions are often resistant to first-line treatments. Children’s Hospital delivers specialized therapies that help children move forward with life. We excel in treating rare and complex anomalies, such as Hirschsprung’s disease, cloaca malformation and bladder exstrophy.
Highlights of our program include:
- Multidisciplinary team: Children’s Hospital is home to one of the most comprehensive pediatric colorectal and pelvic anomalies teams in the Western U.S. Surgeons, pediatricians, urologists and manometry experts make up our core team. We hold weekly case conferences and collaborate in real-time during clinic. This approach enables us to deliver timely, personalized care. Meet our team.
- Precise diagnosis: We diagnose rare anomalies with a high degree of accuracy. Our capabilities include manometry of the entire colon. We also excel in performing biopsies for Hirschsprung’s disease and urodynamic studies for genitourinary anomalies. Explore colorectal and pelvic anomaly evaluation and diagnosis.
- Conservative approach: Services such as pelvic floor therapy for children and our Voiding Improvement Program help children gain better bladder and bowel control. These treatments may delay the need for surgery. In children who have had surgery, these services optimize a child’s bladder or bowel function.
- Life-changing surgery: Our surgeons use research-based techniques to repair organs and perform reconstructive procedures. Our capabilities also include revision surgery, giving children more chances for successful treatment. We collaborate with world-renowned experts to advance our knowledge and outcomes. Find out more about colorectal malformation treatments and genitourinary malformation treatments.
Colorectal Anomaly Research and Innovation
Our team is taking steps toward advancing the field through colorectal and pelvic anomaly research.
Our research interests include:
- Biofeedback for urinary incontinence
- Long-term effects of neurogenic bladder surgery
- Manometry studies
- Pelvic floor therapy for incontinence
- Psychologic outcomes in young adults with bladder exstrophy
- Trans-anal irrigation systems
Refer a Patient to the Colorectal Center
Find out more about referring a patient to the Colorectal Center. In addition to completing paperwork, please send all imaging studies, lab findings and progress notes for the past two years. It’s also helpful to have any test results or documentation from other providers that the patient’s family shared with your office.
Comprehensive Colorectal and Pelvic Anomaly Care for Children
We offer access to multiple pediatric subspecialists in one convenient location in Los Angeles. Find out more about our Colorectal Center.
To schedule an appointment with a colorectal or pelvic anomaly specialist, call 323-361-5711.