Child Life Practicum
The Child Life Department at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles offers a 10 week, 160-200 hour, Master's level practicum experience for students from University of La Verne, Loma Linda University, and Mills College, universities currently in contract with our institution.
Our practicum is largely observational and conducted in accordance with the recommended standards set forth by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP). This practicum is intended to prepare students for the Child Life Internship. Please click here for the ACLP’s Recommended Standards.
- Application Requirements
- Application Considerations
- Application Deadlines
- Submitting Your Application
- Previous experience (100 hours, minimum) with ill children in a hospital or camp setting
- Previous experience (100 hours, minimum) with well children in a non-medical/non-health related setting
All applications must include the following to be considered:
- Completed CHLA Child Life Practicum Application
- Two letters of recommendation, on official letterhead that have been written within the last year.
- One from the supervisor responsible for overseeing your experience with ill children
- One from a professional of your choice.
- The letters of recommendation must be sent by the references directly to ChildLifePracticum@chla.usc.edu. Any letters of recommendation submitted by the applicant and not sent directly by the reference will not be considered.
- Interviews will be conducted in-person (when possible) or virtually.
Application deadline: April 15
Practicum begins (appoximately): Last week of August or 1st week of September
Application deadline: October 15
Practicum begins (appoximately): Last week of January or 1st week February
Application deadline: February 15
Practicum begins (appoximately): 1st week of June
- All application materials must be present in order to be considered. Universities that will not send transcripts to the student may be sent directly to us, however, the transcript must arrive by the deadline.
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application.
- Please email all completed materials to: ChildLifePracticum@chla.usc.edu
At this time, we are planning on offering child life practicum opportunities for spring, summer, and fall 2021. As the COVID-19 pandemic is ever-changing, practicum offerings may change as well.