Welcome to Children's Hospital Los Angeles
This information will help you during your visit here.
Patient Care Services
Language and Translation Assistance
Request an interpreter at no charge by talking to your nurse or doctor or calling ext. 12596.
Medications Your Child Is Taking
Ask your doctor or nurse to explain the medicines your child is taking. To learn more, the GetWellNetwork has information under the Parent button:
- "Stay involved in your child's care"
- "Learn about medicine"
Prescriptions may be filled at a pharmacy of your choice. There are two pharmacies on CHLA's campus:
- Specialty Pharmacy | Phone: ext. 17935
Location: First floor, near the Gift Shop
Hours: Mon. – Fri., 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Sat., 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Walgreens | Phone: 323-644-2080
Location: Third floor, Outpatient Tower
Hours: Mon. – Fri., 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Sat., 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Please talk to your child's nurse or any hospital staff to report a concern. If you have any questions or feedback about your stay, you can contact the Office of Patient Experience at ext. 14682, or email@example.com. You will also receive a survey about your experience once you are home. We value your feedback.
Questions about your bill or insurance?
Call Patient Financial Services at ext. 12515.
Rapid Response Team (RRT)
If you have talked to your child's nurses and doctors and are still worried about your child's condition, dial 33 from your child's room to get medical help quickly. This is not available in intensive care units (ICUs) or outpatient areas.
Social workers provide emotional and resource support to patients and families. Ask your nurse or dial ext. 12485 to speak with a social worker.
Support and Resources
Child Life specialists help patients of all ages learn all about the hospital and their medical care through play and other fun activities. Ask your nurse to call ext. 12355.
Family Resource Center
This is a quiet place for families to learn, take classes, get resource information, or use a computer, fax machine, copier or scanner. Location: First floor next to the HBO Café
Phone: ext. 17698
Inpatients can receive one free book daily, Monday through Friday, and have a team member read to them in bed. Call our Literally Healing Reading Room at ext. 56801 or 56802.
Playrooms and Playground
Most units have a playroom with televisions, computers, games and art supplies so children in the hospital can play while they get well. Ask your nurse for playroom hours. The playground is located outside, on the first floor next to the HBO Café, and is wheelchair-accessible.
Spiritual Care Services
Chaplains offer spiritual counseling, help with religious activities, or simply listen to you, no matter what you believe. Please ask your nurse or doctor or dial ext. 12482. The Interfaith Center is open 24 hours a day. It is located behind the Hospital Admitting/Gift Shop area on your way to the Outpatient Tower.
Amenities and Family Needs
Connect to the internet using wireless account: CHLA_Guest.
For information on laundry facilities, please contact the Family Resource Center at ext. 17698.
CHLA is a Smoke-Free Institution
Smoking and tobacco are not permitted anywhere on the hospital's campus. This includes building entrances, exits, driveways and parking lots.
- The main visitor parking garage is $10 a day. The first 30 minutes are free. You cannot come in and out of the parking garage on the same ticket.
- Visitors can buy a daily, weekly or monthly pass from the parking booth located at the entrance/exit of the parking garage. The cost is $10 for a 24-hour pass, $40 for a one-week pass and $125 for a one-month pass.
- Valet parking at the hospital's main entrance is $15, or $10 for cars with disabled parking permits, 7 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., Mon – Fri.
- Parking in the visitor parking garage is free on the day of discharge with validation.
- Flowers and plants are not allowed in patient care areas. Flower deliveries are kept at the front desk for families to pick up and take home.
- Stuffed animals are discouraged because they are hard to clean.
- Mylar balloons are welcome at our hospital. Latex balloons are not allowed.
Visiting the Hospital
Parents or caregivers are welcome to visit 24 hours a day. There are times when you may be asked to step out of the room or unit.
You may NOT visit patients if you have fever or chills, cough, difficulty breathing, fatigue, body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, or have recently been sick or in contact with someone with a contagious disease.
Visitation rules might change for different reasons, such as COVID-19 or flu season. Please visit CHLA.org/visitors for current rules, or see your Unit Letter for more information.
To order food in inpatient rooms, use the GetWellNetwork restaurant icon for the menu. Dial 1MENU (ext. 16368) from your child’s room to order. Please pay when the food arrives—cash only, and exact change is appreciated. No bills over $20 are accepted.
Other Options for Food
- The HBO Café, located on the first floor, is open daily from 6 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. – 5 a.m. Grill, deli and entrée stations are closed from 1 a.m. – 6 a.m.
- Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf coffee is served in two locations:
- HBO Café
Mon. – Fri.: 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sat. – Sun.: 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Main Lobby
Mon. – Fri.: 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Sat. – Sun.: 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- HBO Café
Vending machines are available in the HBO Café 24/7.
Vons Supermarket, next door to the hospital, is open 24 hours a day and has a deli, Starbucks, bakery and pharmacy. If you bring food from home, you will not be able to store leftover food in coolers in patient rooms or on unit floors.