Third Thursday: Industry Service Day
On the third Thursday of every month, the Hollywood Cares for Kids™ program invites professionals working in the entertainment, music, sports and other allied industries to experience Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and support our hospital mission through service activities with patients and families.
Whether it’s one day or a lifetime of treatment, hospitalization can take an emotional, physical and financial toll on patients and families. A simple gesture like serving up coffee and good conversation with a parent or making a child laugh can have a tremendous positive impact.
How Does it Work?
Third Thursday participants take part in activities approved and overseen by hospital staff, like doing arts and crafts with patients and siblings in our outpatient clinics, distributing coffee and tea to families and staff, reading at the bedside and more.
Participants must meet the Third Thursday participants requirements and complete the online application in advance. Space is limited and filled on a first come, first serve basis. Applicants will receive email confirmation of participation within two business days of submission.
- Third Thursday is a designated day for professionals who work in the entertainment, sports, music, film, television, news media, fashion, art and other allied industries. For all other visit and volunteer requests, visit CHLA.org/Volunteers or contact our Office of Volunteers at (323) 361-2371.
- Every Third Thursday participant must apply online in advance. Applications are subject to approval. Walk-ins and single applications submitted for groups will not be accepted.
- Participants may take part in Third Thursday a maximum of 3 times in a calendar year.
- Participants experiencing or recently exposed to flu/viral symptoms such as cough, running nose, scratchy throat, headache or nausea will not be permitted to participate until they are clear of all symptoms or illness.
- Participants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Participants must review a brief online orientation prior to service day.
- No photos, video, publicity or media coverage of any kind is permitted during Third Thursday. All participants will be held to strict patient privacy rules and will be required to read and sign a confidentiality agreement during the application process.
- Participants must dress appropriately. No open-toe shoes, torn jeans, revealing attire or apparel depicting offensive language, frightening images, political or religious bias. All participants will receive their own Third Thursday t-shirt to be worn during service activities.
- Participants must be accompanied by a hospital representative at all times.
Become a Third Thursday participant by completing our online application. Applications must be submitted by 6 p.m. PT on the Thursday (one week) before the Third Thursday event for which you are applying. Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee your participation.
We will contact you within two business days of receiving your request to confirm. Children’s Hospital Los Angeles reserves the right to refuse any application.
For more information, please contact Lyndsay Hutchison at (323) 361-4121 or email us for assistance.
Coffee is generously provided by Don Francisco coffee.
To become a Third Thursday sponsor or donate products and services in-kind, please email us.
Director, Hollywood Cares for Kids™ Program