Summer Junior Volunteer Program
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. Children's Hospital Los Angeles offers a Summer Program for Junior Volunteers. Junior volunteers provide service to patients, families and staff in 100+ different areas of the hospital, while gaining experience and self-confidence.
Our volunteers provide special services to our patients and families that contribute daily to our mission to create hope and build healthier futures.
Many of our volunteers work directly with patients through opportunities such as:
- Escorting patients to hospital appointments
- Playing with patients in outpatient waiting rooms
- Assisting inpatient areas like playrooms or our reading room (will require additional training)
- Administrative Support
Volunteer opportunities do not include job shadowing or internship experiences (please note that contact with inpatients will be very limited).
June 15th-July 31st, 2020
- Applicants must be 15-17 years of age by June 15th 2020. No exceptions will be made, apologies for the inconvenience.
In order to be considered for participation in the Summer Program, junior volunteers must be able to volunteer:
- 16 hours a week in 4 different solid blocks of time
- shifts typically occur anywhere from Monday through Friday 8:30-5:00pm; we do not have weekend opportunities
- Minimum 100-hour commitment
- Complete a personal phone interview with CHLA Volunteer staff accompanied by a parent/guardian
- Submit to a health screening process accompanied by a parent/guardian
- Full immunization records
- 2 negative TB tests from within the past year. This may mean up to four visits to the Employee Health Services Department or in skin test-positive individuals, a written report of chest x-ray results taken within the previous year
- Attend the mandatory orientation in June
How to Apply
JUNIOR APPLICATION PERIOD
ORIENTATION TO FOLLOW
Opens February 1, 2020
The application portal will open February 1st and will close when 200 applications have been received. Please keep in mind the Summer Junior Program is incredibly competitive, typically receiving hundreds of submissions, and our office can at most accept 30 candidates.