High School Summer Volunteer Program
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. Children's Hospital Los Angeles offers a High School Summer Program for students who have completed their freshman year. High School Volunteers provide service to patients, families and staff in 100+ different areas of the hospital, while gaining experience and self-confidence.
Our volunteers provide special services to our patients and families that contribute daily to our mission to create hope and build healthier futures.
Many of our volunteers work directly with patients through opportunities such as:
- Escorting patients to hospital appointments
- Playing with patients in outpatient waiting rooms
- Administrative Support
Volunteer opportunities do not include job shadowing or internship experiences (please note that contact with inpatients will be very limited).
June 13th-August 5, 2022
- Applicants must be 15-17 years of age by June 15, 2022. No exceptions will be made.
High School Summer volunteers, must be able to:
- Serve 12-16 hours per week in 4 different solid blocks of time
- Shifts typically occur anywhere from Monday through Friday 8:30am-5:00pm
- We do not have weekend opportunities
- Complete 100-service hours
- Complete a personal phone interview with CHLA Volunteer Resources team member accompanied by a parent/guardian
- Submit to a health screening accompanied by a parent/guardian and provide
- Full immunization records
- 2 negative TB tests from within the past year. This may mean up to four visits to the Employee Health Services Department or in skin test-positive individuals, a written report of chest x-ray results taken within the previous year
- Drug and Alcohol Screening Clearance
- Provide proof of full Covid vaccination (Covid vaccination status is considered full 2 weeks after the second shot)
- Attend a mandatory orientation in June
How to Apply
The application for Summer 2022 is now closed.
The High School Summer Volunteer application for 2023 will open on Wednesday, February 1st, 2023 at 4pm and will close when 100 applications have been received.
The application will consist of:
- 1. Personal Contact Information
- 2. Essay Portion
- 3. Two Teacher/Counselor/Coach/or Mentor Recommendations
- Basic Demographic Information
- Your Contact Information
- Home phone
- Cell Phone
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) Contact Information
- Work phone(s
- Cell phone(s)
- Name of School
- Expected Current School Year End Date
- Following School Year Start Date
- Short Answer Question (150 word minimum): Please share an interesting fact about yourself and/or is there anything else you’d like to tell us?
- Short Answer Question (150 word minimum): Please give us an example of a past meaningful experience involving children?
- Essay Question (300 word minimum): In recognizing your passion for children, please tell us why you should be considered for a volunteer position at Children's Hospital Los Angeles?
- You are required to provide two references. Please have First Name, Last Name and E-mail Address Ready.
- After submitting your application: An electronic recommendation form will be sent via email to the teacher and counselor/coach/mentor you include in your application. They have a designated time frame to complete the recommendation form.
- Note: Please make sure the email addresses you provide for your references are correct. Once you submit, you will NOT be able to make any changes to the form. Your application will not be considered if the forms are not completed by the deadline. Please remind them to check their spam folder.