The skin is the largest organ in the body and plays many essential roles, including maintaining a protective barrier, providing immunity, and communicating with the outside world. At the Division of Dermatology at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, we understand how impactful a skin condition can be on our patients and their families.
Our Board-certified pediatric dermatologists are fellowship-trained in the diagnosis and management of a wide range of skin conditions affecting infants, children and adolescents, including common, complex and rare conditions. We pride ourselves in merging up-to-date science with compassion to provide the highest quality care.
Skin Conditions We Treat
- Benign growths
- Congenital nevi
- Contact dermatitis
- Diagnostic and therapeutic surgical removal of skin lesions
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis)
- Genetic skin disorders
- Hemangiomas and other vascular lesions
- Infectious skin diseases (fungal, viral, bacterial)
- Keloids and scars
- Port wine stains
- Rashes or skin lesions of unknown cause
- Skin manifestations of systemic conditions such as rheumatologic disorders
- Warts and molluscum
Services we provide:
- Skin biopsies
- Removal of skin lesions, including those requiring sedation and/or general anesthesia
- Propranolol treatment for hemangiomas
- Patch testing for diagnosis of contact dermatitis
- Laser treatment for port wine stains and other vascular lesions
- Treatment for atopic dermatitis (eczema) and other inflammatory skin diseases
Preparing for Your Appointment
Please bring all of your child’s current medications with you to your appointment, or bring photos of your child’s medications. This includes topical medications (creams or ointments that are put on the skin) and oral medications (medications taken by mouth). If your child has been seen by a doctor for their skin condition before and you have doctor’s notes, medical records, lab test results, or results from X-rays, ultrasounds, MRIs or other information, please bring this to your appointment as well.
For the CHLA main campus, please allow ample time (at least 30-45 minutes) for parking, check-in at the hospital’s main entrance, finding our Dermatology clinic, and checking in with the Dermatology front-desk prior to your scheduled appointment time.
Education and Training
Our pediatric dermatologists are proud to provide exceptional educational opportunities to medical students, residents and fellows. Our providers are actively involved with the Keck School of Medicine of USC to ensure these students and physicians-in-training receive high-quality clinical and didactic education in pediatric dermatology.
We are pleased to offer a one-year Pediatric Dermatology Fellowship (link to pediatric dermatology fellowship page) approved by the American Board of Dermatology, open to U.S. candidates who are Board-certified or Board-eligible in dermatology. Applications are reviewed in the Fall through early Spring, and interviews are held between January and March for fellowship entrance the following calendar year.