Spiritual Care and Clinical Pastoral Education
About the Spiritual Care Services Program
Our program offers support and comfort to patients, families, and staff of all faiths, cultures and walks of life in times of crisis, loss, injury or illness. To request assistance, dial 323-361-2482 (or inside the hospital, dial ext. 12482).
As members of the interdisciplinary health care team our chaplains:
- Listen to concerns with compassion.
- Visit patients and families upon request.
- Facilitate religious rituals, including baptism, communion, and blessing.
- Provide spiritual counseling.
- Help clarify questions of meaning and ethical dilemmas.
- Respond to crisis and emergency situations.
- Assist patients and families to contact local religious communities as desired.
- Provide sacred literature and devotional items from diverse traditions.
- Provide electric Shabbat candles and assist with kosher and other dietary observances.
- Conduct interfaith and memorial services throughout the year.
- Celebrate weekly religious services.
- Interfaith Meditation Room and Chapel
- Spiritual Services
- Clinical Pastoral Education
- Program Links
- An interfaith room and chapel is open for quiet reflection 24 hours a day on the hospital’s first floor in the Page building across from the Giraffe elevators. Visitors will find sacred literature from diverse religions, a place for prayer requests and Muslim prayer rugs there.
- A new 2,400 square-feet Interfaith Center with indoor and outdoor meditation and reflection space will be opening in January 2016. For more information about the campaign to build this expanded space, please visit our campaign page to learn more.
Spiritual Care could not be offered at our hospital without the generous donations from many community supporters. Among them is the Spiritual Care Guild, an Affiliate group that raises funds to support the compassionate services provided by this program.
Spiritual services are open to all patients, families and staff members at our hospital. They include:
- Roman Catholic Mass
Sundays, 1:00 pm, Stauffer Conference Center across from Family Resource Center
Wednesdays, 12:00 pm, Family Lounge, fifth floor
- Drop in Meditation for Relaxation
Tuesdays, 12:00pm-12:45pm, Family Lounge, fifth floor
In addition families can attend services in religious communities in close vicinity of the hospital.
Children’s Hospital Los Angles is an accredited training site of the Association of Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc., which brings theological students and clergy from all faith traditions into supervised spiritual care with patients and families through the Clinical Pastoral Education Program.
To learn more about the Clinical Pastoral Education, our Clinical Pastoral Education Program and Chaplaincy Residency, click here.
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. (ACPE) to offer Level I, Level II and Supervisory CPE. The ACPE, Inc. | One West Court Square | Suite 325 | Decatur, GA 30030 | Ph: 404-320-1472 | Fax: 404 -320-0849 | firstname.lastname@example.org