Many clinical diagnoses and interventions can impact a child or adolescent’s mood or other mental behavior.
- The Division of Psychiatry makes itself available to other divisions of the hospital who admit patients for serious medical injury or illness that could benefit from psychiatric care while in the hospital.
- Our psychiatrists and social workers are among the few specialists in the nation with expertise in providing specialized care to meet the unique needs of medically ill children and adolescents.
- In addition, the hospital also offers outpatient psychiatric consultation for families searching for second opinions.
The care team diagnoses and treats psychiatric and neuropsychiatric disorders affecting behavior, mood and thought, as well as family and relational issues. Psychiatric symptoms related to underlying medical conditions or trauma are also addressed by our specialists.
The psychiatrists at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles have a comprehensive background, with board-certifications by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in the following specialties:
- General Psychiatry
- Child-Adolescent Psychiatry
- Psychosomatic Medicine
- Psychiatric Consultation-Liaison Service
- The Psychiatric Consultation-Liaison Service addresses special emotional and behavioral problems of hospitalized or chronically ill children and adolescents, who are patients at our hospital.
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles psychiatrists are expert diagnosticians, with extensive experience in providing second opinions to families. They provide special consultations for challenging diagnoses and conditions.
Our pediatric psychiatrists provide evaluation and therapy for a variety of psychiatric disorders, including:
- Depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders
- Disruptive behavior disorders
- Psychosomatic disorders and psychiatric problems associated with medical illness
- Psychotic disorders
- Stress and trauma related disorders
- Other psychiatric disorders occurring in infants, children, and adolescents