Handy Heroes Therapy Camp
Handy Heroes Therapy Camp is the only camp of its kind within the greater Los Angeles area. Created and led by Occupational Therapists at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, Handy Heroes Therapy Camp is a fun, motivating, and therapeutic summer day camp program designed specifically for children with hemiparesis, a condition which often limits a child’s ability to use one side of the body due to lack of strength, coordination, and motor skills.
Handy Heroes Therapy Camp uses research-proven and innovative approaches of combining constraint-induced movement therapy (preventing the use of the strong arm/hand in a splint) and bi-manual therapy (guided and intensive use of both hands). Each day of the camp has a fun and exciting theme, for example: Star Wars Day, Batman Day, and Rock Star Day. Child-friendly activities that include obstacle courses, games, arts and crafts, music therapy and pet therapy are designed to enhance the function of the child’s weaker hand – the “Handy Hero Hand” – to be best helping hand it can be. Handy Heroes Therapy Camp provides psychological and social benefits in addition to physical benefits – creating a sense of acceptance, unity, and empowerment that are priceless for the campers and their families.
Summer Camp 2021 – In-person or Virtual to be determined
We are no longer accepting applications.
- Dates: July 12 - July 23, 2021
- Hours: Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Location: Children's Hospital Los Angeles
- In-person Cost: $1050 (Financial assistance may be available for eligible campers)
**It has not been determined if we will be able to have Handy Heroes Camp in-person in July 2021. If we are not able, we will have a Virtual camp during the same weeks. Session will be 9-11am or 1-3pm, cost $200/week
For children 6 to 12 years of age. Children with hemiparesis or weakness in one arm/hand: Cerebral Palsy, Brachial Plexus Birth Injury, Stroke
- Pre-camp and post-camp standardized assessments
- Individualized therapeutic camp goals for each camper
- Six hours of daily occupational therapy in a small group setting for 2 weeks
- Constraint induced movement therapy during which a soft splint is worn over the stronger hand
- Bimanual therapy through custom-designed two handed activities
- Music therapy, pet therapy, arts and crafts activities
- Camp led by occupational therapists with expertise in treating children with hemiparesis
“My child’s improvement is off the charts. He has a will-do attitude when using his affected arm. He is trying anything and everything with confidence. This has also led to an improvement in his self-esteem and pride in all his efforts.”
-Parent of a Handy Hero
“My daughter is so excited to know another child like her and has said that she feels more accepted now than before camp.”
-Parent of a Handy Hero