Careers in Health and Mentorship Program (CHAMP)
Have you considered pursuing a career in health administration? With the increasing focus on health economics, business and patient care support services and public health infrastructure, careers in health administration are in demand. Children’s Hospital Los Angeles’ Careers in Health and Mentorship Program (CHAMP) provides young adults in Los Angeles the opportunity to gain practical experience and competencies essential to an entry-level career in health administration.
Examples of Industry Careers:
- Hospital Management
- Marketing and Communications
- Patient Relations
- Office Management
- Information Technology
- Community Health, Education and Outreach
- Finance and Accounting
- Human Resources
- Advocacy and Public Policy
- Population Health
What Do CHAMP Interns Gain?
CHAMP interns participate in a series of career readiness workshops focused on, but not limited to, understanding hospital operations and infrastructure, finance, and maintaining a healthy work-life balance. All interns are then matched with one department within the hospital, where they will gain practical experience through a project-based internship with an administrative healthcare professional. The internship will provide the opportunity to learn essential skills for entry-level employment, build significant professional relationships, and establish a defined career pathway.
- Be age 18 or older
- Be currently enrolled as a student
- Have the legal right to work in the U.S.
- Meet all mandated requirements for internships at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
Selected applicants must be able to attend orientation on Monday, May 7th, 2018 in the evening and be available from 5-8 pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday in June for professional development workshops. The project-based internship will begin June 2018 and end August/September 2018. Internship hours will vary depending upon the assigned project.
Applications for the 2018 Summer CHAMP Cohort will be available on Monday, January 15th, 2018 on this webpage.
- Two letters of recommendation (may be from a professor, former employer, or previous internship supervisor. Letters from family or friends will not be accepted).
- Personal statement: Discuss two of your strengths and how they align with CHLA’s mission and core values. In addition, explain why you would like to join CHLA’s CHAMP Program and what you hope to gain from this experience (minimum 500 words).
Applications will close Sunday, March 11th 2018.
Click here to apply (Applications for the 2018 Summer CHAMP cohort will be available on Monday, January 15th 2018 at 9:00am)
Children's Hospital Los Angeles gratefully acknowledges the support of Bank of America, the Bolton Foundation, and the California Wellness Foundation.