Careers in Health and Mentorship Program (CHAMP)
Have you considered pursuing a career in health administration? With the increasing focus on health economics, business and patient care support services and public health infrastructure, careers in health administration are in demand. Children’s Hospital Los Angeles’ Careers in Health and Mentorship Program (CHAMP) provides young adults in Los Angeles the opportunity to gain practical experience and competencies essential to an entry-level career in health administration.
Examples of Industry Careers:
- Hospital Management
- Marketing and Communications
- Patient Relations
- Office Management
- Information Technology
- Community Health, Education and Outreach
- Finance and Accounting
- Human Resources
- Advocacy and Public Policy
- Population Health
What Do CHAMP Interns Gain?
CHAMP interns participate in a series of career readiness workshops focused on, but not limited to, understanding hospital operations and infrastructure, finance, and maintaining a healthy work-life balance. All interns are then matched with one department within the hospital, where they will gain practical experience through a project-based internship with an administrative healthcare professional. The internship will provide the opportunity to learn essential skills for entry-level employment, build significant professional relationships, and establish a defined career pathway.
- Be age 18 or older
- Be currently enrolled as a student
- Have the legal right to work in the U.S.
- Must complete a CHLA Health Screening
- Must clear a background check
- Must clear a drug/alcohol screening test
- Meet all mandated requirements for internships at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
Selected applicants must be able to attend orientation on Monday, May 18, 2020 in the evening and be available from 5-8 pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday in May/June for professional development workshops. The project-based internship will begin June 2020 and end August 2020. Internship hours will vary depending upon the assigned project.
Applications for the 2020 Summer CHAMP Cohort will be available on Monday, January 6, 2020 on this webpage.
Applications will close when 200 applications have been received or by Sunday, March 15, 2020 at midnight, whichever comes first. Only the first 200 applications submitted will be reviewed for this competitive process.
- Two letters of recommendation (may be from a professor, former employer, or previous internship supervisor. Letters from family or friends will not be accepted).
- Personal statement: Discuss two of your strengths and how they align with CHLA’s mission and core values. In addition, explain why you would like to join CHLA’s CHAMP Program and what you hope to gain from this experience (minimum 500 words).
Children's Hospital Los Angeles gratefully acknowledges the support of Bank of America and the California Wellness Foundation.