Edward Leung is the Director of the Core Laboratory in the Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. As Director of the Core Laboratory, he oversees the following areas: Clinical Chemistry, Biochemical Genetics and Special Chemistry, Laboratory Support Services, and Point of Care Testing.
He is board certified by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry (DABCC).
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada (PhD)
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
Clinical Chemistry Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pathology, The University of Chicago Medicine, Chicago, Illinois
Diplomate of the American Board of Clinical Chemistry (Clinical Chemistry)
North American Chinese Clinical Chemist Association
The Canadian Association for Clinical Chemist
The American Association for Clinical Chemistry
The Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists
The National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry
American Society for Mass Spectrometry
Graduate Fellowship Award (2005, 2006)
Weyerhaeuser Molecular Biology Graduate Scholarship (2006)
President’s Fellowship Award (2007)
Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award, ACLPS (2013)
Honorable Mention Student Oral Presentation Award, AACC (2013)
Laboratory Director Travel Award, MSACL (2015)
1. Leung EKY, Yi X, Refetoff S, Yeo KTJ. Diiodothyropropionic acid (DITPA) cross-reacts with thyroid function assays on different immunoassay platforms. Clinica Chimica Acta 453, 203-204, 2016. PMID PMC5819893
2. Yi X, Leung EKY, Bridgman R, Koo S, Yeo KTJ. Micro LC-MS/MS method for serum hs-estradiol. Journal of Applied Laboratory Medicine 1, 14-24, 2016. DOI 10.1373/jalm.2016.020362 PMID not available until 2019.
3. Leung EKY, Agolini E, Melis R, McMillin GA, Friedman PN, Peterson P, Danahey K, O'Donnell PH, Yeo KTJ. Validation of an extensive CYP2D6 Assay Panel based on Invader and TaqMan Copy Number Assays. Journal of Applied Laboratory Medicine 1, 5: 471-482, 2017. DOI 10.1373/jalm.2016.021923 PMID not available until 2019.
4. O’Donnell PH, Wadhwa N, Danahey K, Borden B, Lee SM, Hall JP, Klammer C, Hussain S, Siegler M, Sorrentino MJ, Davis AM, Sacro YA, Nanda R, Polonsky TS, Koyner JL, Burnet DL, Lipstreuer K, Rubin D, Mulcahy C, Strek ME, Harper W, Cifu AS, Polite B, Patrick-Miller L, Yeo KTJ, Leung EKY, Volchenboum SL, Altman RB, Olopade OI, Stadler WM, Meltzer DO, Ratain MJ. Pharmacogenomic-Based Point-of-Care Clinical Decision Support Significantly Alters Drug Prescribing. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics 102, 859-69, 2017. PMID 28398598
5. Yang Y, Yassan L, Leung EKY, Yeo KTJ. Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome in a newborn infant with developmental abnormalities and low endogenous cholesterol. Clinica Chimica Acta 479, 208-11, 2018. PMID 29355488
Dr. Leung’s research interest is in personalized medicine and pharmacogenomics. He is also interested in exploring and developing mass spectrometry assays and technologies for clinical use.