Child Life Internship
The Child Life department at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles offers a full time, 600-hour internship over 15 weeks, practicing in accordance with the requirements and standards set forth by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP).
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) child life interns may be affiliated with a university at the undergraduate and graduate level, but this is not required.
- International applicants must be actively affiliated with a U.S. university.
- Per CHLA policy, all students must comply with CHLA required health clearance and background check.
- Internship candidates must have:
- Previously engaged with children in both healthcare and non-healthcare settings.
- Solid understanding of child development through coursework and experience.
- Although a practicum is not required by the ACLP, we highly encourage students to have completed a hands-on pre-internship experience in healthcare.
- Review the Becoming Certified process
Submitting Your Application
- Complete the Internship Readiness Common Application found on the ACLP website
- Users must create an account to be able to complete the application.
- Select the Internship Readiness Common Application tile and complete all prompted steps that appear on the dashboard, including submission of unofficial transcripts and completed ACLP Eligibility Assessment.
- Once the application is complete, candidates should download the completed application as a PDF file.
- Please email completed Internship Readiness Common Application PDF file to: ChildLifeInternship@chla.usc.edu, attention Amanda Brown.
- All applicants that submit their completed application will receive a courtesy notice of receipt.
- Applications received incomplete or after deadline will not be reviewed.
- Due to the large number of applications received, we are unable to provide individual notifications or feedback to applicants not chosen for interviews/internship.
- Note: Per CHLA protocols, employees of CHLA are unable to be listed as professional references during and after internship experience.
- To eliminate additional potential biases, we utilize a “blind” application review process for selecting interview candidates.
- Blinded identifiers include: your name, names of supervisors, where you completed your degree(s), where you completed volunteer, practicum, or other related experiences.
- University affiliated students and their schools must agree to all terms of CHLA’s student agreement.
- Unaffiliated students will be responsible for purchasing liability insurance, as required by CHLA.
- Stipends, housing, and/or relocation fees are not provided.
- Interviews will be conducted virtually.
* Please note: CHLA Child Life Department adheres to the deadlines listed by the ACLP.