International Observership Program
Children's Hospital Los Angeles is committed to providing high-quality, advanced pediatric education opportunities to physicians, nurses and allied health professionals throughout the world. As one of the nation’s premier pediatric academic medical centers and a teaching hospital of the Keck School of Medicine of USC, we have more than 1,200 clinicians who are at the forefront of leading-edge care and innovative research.
The objective of the International Observership Program is to facilitate the transfer of knowledge from CHLA experts to health care providers from other countries through an informal, immersive shadowing experience. Observers will gain a better understanding of CHLA’s culture, including our approach to multidisciplinary collaboration in both clinical and non-clinical settings, as well as learn best practices. We also encourage participants to attend Grand Rounds, Journal Club and other select seminars and teaching conferences offered at CHLA to further round out their experience. Through the observership, our hope is to inspire new ideas that participants can implement when they return to their home institutions.
- Who is Eligible?
- Duration and Fees
- How to Apply
- Application Packet
The International Observership Program is open to:
- Fully trained international physicians and specialists currently practicing abroad
- International residents and fellows currently enrolled in a residency/fellowship program at a foreign institution and who are expected to graduate from that same institution
Types of Observers
- Allied health professionals
We also offer International Short Courses if you are interested in starting an education course between CHLA and your institution please email us at email@example.com.
- Adolescent Medicine
- Allergy Immunology
- Emergency Medicine
- General Pediatric (Only 2 week observership)
- Hematology/Oncology and Blood & Marrow Transplantation
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Radiation Oncology
- Sport Medicine
If you do not see your specialty please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The observership typically lasts one month.
There is a non-refundable $250 processing fee. A tuition fee may also apply.
- Please select the one specialty that most reflects your area of interest. Observership applications are presented to one specialty only.
- Refer to the schedule outlined below and select an application period most appropriate for you.
- Complete the application form and submit all required documents to Araceli Jimenez via email at email@example.com before the close date of the period you are applying to.
- Please pay the fee
Application Periods 2020-2021
|Observsership Dates||Application Open||Application Closed||Decision|
|Oct, Nov and Dec 2020||April 1, 2020||May 15, 2020||June 30, 2020|
|Jan, Feb and March 2021||July 1, 2020||Aug 14, 2020||Sept 30, 2020|
|April, May and June 2021||Oct 1, 2020||Nov 13, 2020||Jan 15, 2021|
|July, Aug and Sept 2021||Jan 1, 2021||Feb 12, 2021||March 30, 2021|
Observership Start Dates
|Oct, Nov and Dec 2020||Jan, Feb and March 2021||April, May and June 2021||July, Aug and Sept 2021|
|Oct 5, 2020||Jan 4, 2021||April 5, 2021||July 6, 2021|
|Oct 19, 2020||Jan 19, 2021||April 19, 2021||July 19, 2021|
|Nov 2, 2020||Feb 1, 2021||May 3, 2021||Aug 2, 2021|
|Nov 30, 2020||Feb 15, 2021||May 17, 2021||Aug 16, 2021|
|Dec 14, 2020||March 1, 2021||May 31, 2021||Sept 7, 2021|
|March 15, 2021||June 14, 2021||Sept 20, 2021|
All required documents must be submitted in English and in PDF, DOC, or DOCX format.
- Application form: Complete attached application
- CV: Copy of current CV
- Passport: Color copy of passport
- National ID: Color copy of country’s national ID (equivalent to USA’s social security number)
- 2 letters of recommendation from your current institution
- Personal statement: one page addressing your interest in this program and your qualifications
Once we have received all your required documents an English Proficiency interview will be scheduled.
If accepted as an observer, please note that you will need to complete and provide additional documents/forms.
Please reference the required immunizations
Note: Federal regulations prohibit observers from having any direct patient contact, patient care responsibilities, or involvement in any form of volunteer research. Observers are not eligible to have a CHLA email address and cannot have access to our electronic medical record system. All healthcare professionals participating in the CHLA International Observership Program are required to comply within the limitations of applicable laws and regulations, and CHLA policy.