COVID-19 Test Types for Patients and Families
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is testing all patients who are admitted to the hospital or who are having certain procedures.
There are many types of COVID-19 tests available, and new tests are being developed regularly. Some tests are more accurate than others.
To ensure the safety of our patients, families and staff, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles only accepts certain types of tests. If you are being tested before a procedure or admission to the hospital, please make sure your testing location meets CHLA’s requirements. If it does not, your admission or procedure may be delayed until another test can be performed.
CHLA will accept the lab report of a test if it is:
- Performed within 72 hours (3 days) of your scheduled admission/procedure, with no new COVID-19 symptoms or exposures since the test was completed
- A nasopharyngeal (NP) test, or combined oropharyngeal and nares specimen type
- A polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test
Make sure your testing facility:
- Uses one of these methods
- Clearly documents the test and collection type on the lab report
- Gives you a copy of the lab report
CHLA will NOT accept these types of tests:
- Antigen test
- Antibody or serology (IgG, IgM, IgA) test
- Abbot ID Now test
- “Rapid” test
If you don’t know if a specific test type will be accepted, please call 323-361-5331, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. to check with CHLA before scheduling a test.