Child Life Internship
The Child Life Department at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles offers a full time, 600 hour internship over 15 weeks, practicing in accordance with the requirements and standards set forth by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP).
- Submitting Your Application
- Application Considerations
- Application Deadlines
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) child life interns may be affiliated with a university at the undergraduate and graduate level, but this is not required.
- Per CHLA policy, all students must be vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19.
- Internship candidates must have:
- Previously engaged with children in both health care and non-health care settings
- Solid understanding of child development through coursework and experience
- Although a practicum is not required by the ACLP, we highly encourage students to have completed a practicum prior to their internship experience. Practicum content must be in accordance with the recommended standards set forth by the ACLP. Click here (https://www.childlife.org/certification/forms-and-other-resources/practicum-students) to view the ACLP Recommended Practicum Standards.
- Complete ACLP Internship Readiness Common Application found on the ACLP website (https://www.childlife.org/).
- Complete the Internship Readiness Common Application found on the ACLP website (https://www.childlife.org/).
- Users must create an account to be able to complete the application.
- Select the Internship Readiness Common Application tile and complete all prompted steps that appear on the dashboard.
- Once the application is complete, candidates should download the completed application as a ZIP file.
- Please email completed Internship Readiness Common Application ZIP file to: ChildLifeInternship@chla.usc.edu, attention Amanda Brown.
- All applicants that submit their completed application will receive a courtesy notice within 72 hours. If you do not receive a notice, please email ChildLifeInternship@chla.usc.edu to verify application receipt.
- Applications received incomplete or after deadline will not be reviewed.
- Note: Per CHLA protocols, employees of CHLA are unable to be listed as professional references during and after internship experience.
- To eliminate additional potential biases, we utilize a “blind” application review process for selecting interview candidates.
- Blinded identifiers include: your name, names of supervisors, where you completed your degree(s), where you completed volunteer, practicum, or other related experiences.
- University affiliated students and their schools must agree to all terms of CHLA’s student agreement.
- Unaffiliated students will be responsible for purchasing liability insurance, as required by CHLA.
- Stipends, housing, and/or relocation fees are not provided.
- Due to the large number of applications received, we are unable to provide individual notifications or feedback to applicants not chosen for interviews/internship.
Please click here for application and offer dates
*Please note: We require all application materials be received by the deadlines listed by the ACLP