Expressive Arts Therapy Internship
The Mark Taper-Johnny Mercer Artists Program at Children's Hospital Los Angeles was founded in 1991 and serves patients and their families in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Art and music therapists collaborate with the entire treatment team, including medical staff and other service providers in the Family-Centered Care Support Services Division. Art and music therapists assist patients and their families to express and explore thoughts and feelings regarding illness, hospitalization and related stressors.
- Internship Information
- How to Apply
- After Acceptance
Interns and trainees will be supervised by credentialed professionals in their chosen field and are valued members of our team. They will be assigned to specific inpatient and outpatient treatment units to provide a broad experience base and a general exposure to the creative and expressive arts in a medical setting. Interns will get experience with adjunctive collaboration, assessment, interventions, evaluation and charting. They will also participate in the program’s outcome studies and will be invited to take advantage of the hospital's ongoing educational opportunities.
- Are currently enrolled in an accredited program for art therapy, music therapy, or dance movement therapy.
- Earn a minimum GPA of 3.0 in related courses
- Possess strong skills in self-advocacy, independence, and initiative
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and an ability to tolerate a wide variety of medical and developmental issues
- Complete the application form
- the application is available for download in pdf format.
- It should be filled out and emailed
- Submit current resume
- Official or un-official transcripts
- 2 letters of recommendation from academic or professional references
Applications and all other items should be e-mailed to:
Please note that an acknowledgement of receipt of your application will be sent within three business days. If you have not heard from us within this timeframe, kindly follow up by email.
There is no fee for application to the internship program.
We accept music therapy interns 3 times a year (generally January, May/June, and August/September). We accept art therapy trainees in alignment with their school semesters (Fall, Spring, Summer).
Our application deadline is rolling. For music therapy interns, we recommend you apply at least 6 months in advance, as internship spots can fill up quickly. For art therapy trainees, apply at least 3-6 months in advance given advisement from your university. If you have questions regarding the application or process please email: ExpressiveTherapiesInternships@chla.usc.edu.
Interns are considered students at the hospital and must complete the requirements for non-medical student personnel set by JHACO and Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
- Completion of application and related paperwork
- Health clearance (TB test, proof of immunizations)
- Criminal background check
- Pre-approved internship contract with university
- Liability insurance (personal or through your university)
No housing or stipend support is provided for interns or trainees.