Expressive Arts Therapy Internship
The Mark Taper-Johnny Mercer Artists Program at Children's Hospital Los Angeles was founded in 1991 and serves patients and their families in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Art and music therapists collaborate with the entire treatment team, including medical staff and other service providers in the Family-Centered Care Support Services Division. Art and music therapists assist patients and their families to express and explore thoughts and feelings regarding illness, hospitalization and related stressors.
- Internship Information
- How to Apply
- After Acceptance
Interns and trainees will be supervised by credentialed professionals in their chosen field and are valued members of our team. They will be assigned to specific inpatient and outpatient treatment units to provide a broad experience base and a general exposure to the creative and expressive arts in a medical setting. Interns will get experience with adjunctive collaboration, assessment, interventions, evaluation and charting. They will also participate in the program’s outcome studies and will be invited to take advantage of the hospital's ongoing educational opportunities.
- Currently be enrolled in an accredited program
- Earn a minimum GPA of 3.0 in related courses
- Have had work or volunteer experience with children
- Possess strong skills in self-advocacy, independence and initiative
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and an ability to tolerate a wide variety of medical and developmental issues
Applications must be submitted no later than 3 months in advance of your intended start date. In-person and/or phone interviews will be required for all candidates before acceptance into the program.
Application packet should include:
- Printed copy of a completed application form
- In addition to submitting a hard copy, applicants can also email completed and saved application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current resume
- Official transcripts
- Two letters of academic or professional reference in sealed envelopes
Please note that an acknowledgement of receipt of your application will be sent within three business days. If you have not heard from us within this timeframe, kindly follow up by email or phone.
There is no fee for application to the internship program.
Applications should be mailed to:
c/o Children's Hospital Artists Program
4650 Sunset Blvd., #28
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Interns are students at the hospital and must complete the requirements for nonmedical student personnel set by JHACO and Children's Hospital Los Angeles. These clearances are provided free of charge to the intern using resources here on site.
- Health clearance (2 TB tests, drug test, basic physical, proof of immunizations)
- Criminal background check
- Completion of application and related paperwork
- Pre-approved internship contract with university
- Liability insurance (personal or through your university)
No housing or stipend support is provided for interns or trainees.