CAMP CHLA - Health Care Career Exploration
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to work in the health care field? Camp CHLA is your chance to explore those exciting careers! Join us for five full days of education, observation, and participation in the daily activities of health care professionals at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA).
At Camp CHLA, you will:
- Observe medical procedures and job shadow health care professionals as they care for patients
- Participate in skills labs where you will learn how to take vital signs, perform community CPR, and acquire other essential skills for the medical field
- Gain exposure to different career paths by participating in presentations given by medical professionals in various specialties
- Debrief at the end of each day to reflect on your experience and share with your peers
- Get a firsthand look at the fascinating world of health care through this life-changing opportunity
Click here for the list of available careers you can shadow during Camp CHLA.
- July 13 – 17, 2020
- July 27 – 31, 2020
- Only current freshmen, sophomores, or juniors in high school are eligible to apply
- Residency in Los Angeles or California is not required to apply
- If you have attended Camp CHLA before, you are not eligible to apply
- You must be able to attend all 5 days of the session (approx. 8:00am – 4:30pm)
- On your online application, you will have the option of providing your first and second choice for sessions
- If you do not have a preference, you will be able to choose “No Preference”
- If you are unavailable for one of the sessions, you will be able to choose “Not Available”
Important Dates & Deadlines
- The application portal will open on December 6, 2019, 5:00 pm
- The portal will close when 400 applications have been received
- Please note that the portal for Camp CHLA 2019 closed a couple hours after opening
- The teacher/counselor recommendation form will be due by January 17, 2020, 11:59 pm (see below for more information)
- All applicants will be updated about their admission status by March 13, 2020
- Applicants who are not selected will be notified via email
- Accepted applicants will receive a phone call and email invitation
How to Apply
Return to this website on December 6, 2019 for a link to the application portal.
The application has three major components:
#1 - The Essays
- Describe how you would benefit from Camp CHLA and why you should be selected to attend. (200-250 words)
- What would you consider to be your most important achievement and why? (max. 200 words)
- While CHLA is a pediatric hospital, our goal is to provide an opportunity to explore all health care careers. Please describe your career interests. (Note: your answer does not have to specifically address an interest in pediatrics.) (max. 100 words)
As the portal closes after receiving 400 applications, we highly suggest that you complete your essays beforehand so that you are ready to submit as soon as the portal opens.
#2 - Basic Information
- Basic Demographic Information
- Your info: Home phone + Cell Phone + Email
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) info: Work phone(s) + Cell phone(s) + Email(s)
- Estimated number of family in household + Estimated family income
- Name of school + Expected year of graduation
- (If applicable) Name of parent/family member employed at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles + Their department at CHLA
If you mainly use a school-related email, we highly suggest that you use a gmail/yahoo/etc. account in order to ensure that you receive all emails from Camp CHLA. (Due to school email servers having rejected our emails in the past)
#3 - The Teacher/Counselor Recommendation
When the application portal opens:
- You will submit the email address of the teacher/counselor
- After inputting the email, you will have completed this component for your application
- Note: They do not have to complete the form before 400 applications have been received (see below for more info.)
After submitting your application:
- An electronic recommendation form will be sent via email to the teacher/counselor you included in your application
- They have until January 17, 2020, 11:59 pm to complete the recommendation form
- Note: Your application will not be considered if the form is not completed by the deadline
We highly suggest that you reach out to your teacher/counselor to ensure that they have received the recommendation form via email. If they did not, email CampCHLA@chla.usc.edu for assistance.
There is no charge to attend Camp CHLA.
We sincerely thank the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) for the Health Careers Training Program Grant, the generous donors who have underwritten Camp CHLA, and the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Staff for their support and dedication.
Participants will need to provide their own transportation to and from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
- For eligible participants taking public transportation, reimbursement may be available
- Parking validations will be provided to participants who drive
Click here for our list of FAQ’s.
Click here for our brochure.