About Camp CHLA
Camp CHLA is a 5-day, in-person healthcare career exploration camp offered twice per summer for high school students to explore, learn, and participate in the inspiring work that our team members do every day. At camp we host activities for students including but not limited to:
- Presentations from select healthcare professionals detailing their personal career journeys and “day-in-the-life” details about their roles
- Hands-on skills in health promotion and disease/injury prevention, such as CPR, first aid, body ergonomics and more
- Networking opportunities for a group of students with similar interests in CHLA’s mission and vision as a potential career path
- Real-life and up-close exposure to the fascinating world of healthcare and the lifesaving work happening throughout the hospital
- June 24th – June 28th, 2024
- August 5th – August 9th, 2024
Camp CHLA Information Session - Q&A
Please join us for an information session on all things Camp CHLA. We will review dates, eligibility requirements, frequently asked questions, required onboarding documents, and open the floor to questions.
We welcome parents/guardians, prospective campers and volunteers. We hope to see you there!
- Friday, December 15th | 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Via Microsoft Teams: Click here to join the meeting
- Only current freshmen, sophomores, or juniors in high school who live in Los Angeles County are eligible to apply
- If you have attended Camp CHLA before, you are not eligible to apply
- You must be able to attend all 5 days of the session (approx. 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
- On your online application, you will have the option of providing your first and second choice for sessions
- If you do not have a preference, you will be able to choose “No Preference”
- If you are unavailable for one of the sessions, you will be able to choose “Not Available”
Important Dates & Deadlines
The Camp CHLA 2024 Application Portal will be open December 15th, 2023 - January 12th, 2024.
- The application portal will close on January 12th, 2024, 11:59 p.m.
- Information surrounding the timeline that applicants can expect to hear back whether they are accepted to the program will be released in the near future.
How to Apply
Ready to start preparing your Camp CHLA application?
Click here for our Application Form to ensure you have everything ready when the application portal opens!
The application has two major components:
#1 - The Essays
- Describe why you are interested in attending Camp CHLA? (200-250 words)
- In your opinion, what is the most challenging aspect of being in a diverse environment? What is your approach to understanding the perspectives of others from different backgrounds? (max. 200 words)
- At CHLA, we strive to provide patient- and family-centered care. Briefly tell us about a time you needed to understand and include the perspective of others to meet your goal(s). (Note: your answer may come from any experience and does not have to specifically address health care or pediatrics.) (max. 200 words)
As the portal closes promptly at the application deadline, 11:59pm January 12th, 2024, we highly suggest that you complete your essays beforehand so that you are ready to submit as soon as the portal opens.
We also suggest that you use a computer for this process as previous applicants have been unable to copy and paste their essays into the modules using a tablet or other mobile device.
#2 - Basic Information
- Basic Demographic Information
- Race, Ethnicity, Language, Disability, Sexual Orientation + Gender Identity
- Your info: Home phone + Cell Phone + Email
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) info: Work phone(s) + Cell phone(s) + Email(s)
- Estimated number of family in household + highest level of education in household
- Name of school + Expected year of graduation
- (If applicable) Name of parent/family member employed at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles + Their department at CHLA
If you mainly use a school-related email, we highly suggest that you create a gmail, yahoo, etc. account to ensure that you receive all emails from Camp CHLA. (School email servers having rejected our emails in the past).
There is no charge to attend Camp CHLA.
We sincerely thank the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) for the Health Careers Training Program Grant, the generous donors who have underwritten Camp CHLA, and the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Staff for their support and dedication.
Participants will need to provide their own transportation to and from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
- Parking validations will be provided to participants who drive
Click here for our list of FAQs.
Click here for our flyer.
Only Camp CHLA alumni are eligible to apply to volunteer for camp.
Click here for more information about applying to become a Camp CHLA Volunteer.
Other CHLA Program Opportunities