CAMP CHLA - Health Care Career Exploration
“What can I expect from Camp CHLA?”
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to work in the health care field? Camp CHLA is your chance to explore those exciting careers! Join us for five full days of education, observation, and participation in the daily activities of health care professionals with Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA).
- You will have the opportunity to hear from medical professionals in various specialties and ask them questions
- You will get to engage in hands-on skills labs with materials we send you before camp (CPR, first aid, etc.)
- You will be able to interact and get to know the other campers, our volunteers, and staff
- You will get a closer look at the fascinating world of health care through this life-changing opportunity!
- June 20 – June 24, 2022
- August 1 – August 5, 2022
- Only current freshmen, sophomores, or juniors in high school who live in Los Angeles County are eligible to apply
- If you have attended Camp CHLA before, you are not eligible to apply
- If you are not fully vaccinated and boosted with the COVID-19 vaccine, you are not eligible to apply
- If Camp CHLA is required to convert to a virtual event due to pandemic-related precautions, you must have a device with audio and video capability + internet access
- You must be able to attend all 5 days of the session (approx. 8:00am – 4:30pm)
- On your online application, you will have the option of providing your first and second choice for sessions
- If you do not have a preference, you will be able to choose “No Preference”
- If you are unavailable for one of the sessions, you will be able to choose “Not Available”
Important Dates & Deadlines
The Camp CHLA 2022 Application Portal opens on March 7, 2022, 5:00 pm. At that time, CLICK HERE TO APPLY!
- The application portal will close on March 18, 2022, 11:59 pm
- All applications submitted during this time frame and completed with a teacher recommendation (see below for more information) will be considered
- Information surrounding the timeline that applicants can expect to hear back whether they are accepted to the program will be released in the near future.
Camp CHLA 2022 is tentatively planned to be an in-person, on-site event. This is subject to change in accord with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance due the COVID-19 pandemic.
How to Apply
Ready to start preparing your Camp CHLA application?
Click here for our Application Form to ensure you have everything ready when the application portal opens!
The application has three major components:
- #1 - The Essays
- #2 - Basic Information
- #3 - The Teacher/Counselor Recommendation
- Describe why you are interested in attending Camp CHLA? (200-250 words)
- In your opinion, what is the most challenging aspect of being in a diverse environment? What is your approach to understanding the perspectives of others from different backgrounds? (max. 200 words)
- At CHLA, we strive to provide patient- and family-centered care. Briefly tell us about a time you needed to understand and include the perspective of others to meet your goal(s). (Note: your answer may come from any experience and does not have to specifically address health care or pediatrics.) (max. 200 words)
As the portal closes promptly at the application deadline, 11:59pm March 17, 2022, we highly suggest that you complete your essays beforehand so that you are ready to submit as soon as the portal opens.
We also suggest that you use a computer for this process as previous applicants have been unable to copy and paste their essays into the modules using a tablet or other mobile device.
- Basic Demographic Information
- Race, Ethnicity, Language, Disability, Sexual Orientation + Gender Identity
- Your info: Home phone + Cell Phone + Email
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) info: Work phone(s) + Cell phone(s) + Email(s)
- Estimated number of family in household + highest level of education in household
- Name of school + Expected year of graduation
- (If applicable) Name of parent/family member employed at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles + Their department at CHLA
If you mainly use a school-related email, we highly suggest that you create a gmail, yahoo, etc. account to ensure that you receive all emails from Camp CHLA. (School email servers having rejected our emails in the past).
When the application portal opens:
- You will submit the email address of the teacher/counselor
- After inputting the email, you will have completed this component for your application
- Note: They do not have to complete the form before March 18, 2022 deadline, see below for more information.
After submitting your application:
- An electronic recommendation form will be sent via email to the teacher/counselor you included in your application
- They have until March 25, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.to complete the recommendation form
- Note: Your application will not be considered if the form is not completed by the deadline
We highly suggest that your reach out to your teacher/counselor to ensure that they have received the recommendation form via email. If they did not, email CampCHLA@chla.usc.edu for assistance.
There is no charge to attend Camp CHLA.
We sincerely thank the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) for the Health Careers Training Program Grant, the generous donors who have underwritten Camp CHLA, and the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Staff for their support and dedication.
Participants will need to provide their own transportation to and from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
- For eligible participants taking public transportation, reimbursement may be available
- Parking validations will be provided to participants who drive
Click here for our list of FAQ’s.
Click here for our brochure.
Only Camp CHLA alumni are eligible to apply to volunteer for camp.
Click here for more information about applying to become a Camp CHLA Volunteer.