- We welcome your toy donations for our patients. You can’t imagine the difference your gift can make to a hospitalized patient. To make your drop off as convenient as possible, please call ahead (323.361.8397) to schedule your delivery and we can meet you at the designated drop off area.
- We are available to personally accept your donation Monday through Friday between the hours of 9am and 4pm. Unfortunately we are not available on weekends or during the evening hours.
- If you need to bring your donation during the weekend and evening hours, items can be brought to the Guest Services Desk located just inside the hospital. They will be kept for us until we come back to pick them up. At that time, you will be given a donation slip to complete for your tax records—the yellow copy is yours.
- If you would like to personally see where your toys will go, we would love to show you our Toy Room. Please let us know ahead of time and we will be glad to accommodate you.
Our Wish Lists
Items We Need the Most
(We appreciate multiples of the same gift in quantities of 30 where possible.)
In addition we love gift cards to the following places:
- Generic coloring books – no holiday reference
- Soft baby dolls – appropriate for under 3 yrs
- Crayons – all sizes
- Interactive crib toys/musicals
- Markers – all sizes
- Super hero action figures
- White artist paper
- Hello Kitty items
- Bubbles (bottles with no attachments)
- Craft and Bead kits
- Play Do (jars with no attachments)
- Pop Up Toys (cause and effect)
- UNO cards
- Bath & Body Works sets for older girls
- Medical first aid kits
- LA Sports Team Sports Swag
- Baby rattles
- Target in $20-50 increments
- Tunes in $15-25 increments
- McDonalds, Robeks, Jamba Juice, Subway, Carl’s in increments of $5
- Movies such as Regal, Edwards, etc.
You can also purchase toys directly for our patients through these store registries.
General Gifting of Toys
Every week, we deliver toys to patients who are admitted to our hospital as a form of diversion, and we also provide gifts of toys to the thirty-five outpatient clinics to reinforce good behaviors like:
- Following treatment plans
- Adhering to specialized diets
- Showing effort in rehabilitation or other types of therapy
Through the generosity of our community supporters, approximately 80,000 toys per year. We distribute toys based on the schedule below:
- One toy per week that a patient is in the hospital
- One toy for a procedure or surgery
- One toy for a birthday while in the hospital for care
- Additional toys may be given if children cannot bring toys from home.
Things We Cannot Accept
To prevent infection, we only accept new and unwrapped gifts for infants, children and adolescents. Once we receive your gift, we sort and sanitize the gifts to further prevent infection. Further, unwrapped gifts ensure that children and adolescents are given gifts that are appropriate to their age and developmental levels. Please refer to our the list above for the hospital's needs.
Flowers, Edible Gifts and Holiday Treats
Due to our infection control policy we cannot accept these items.
Presentations of Gifts and Donations
Presentations of gifts and donations may NOT be made directly to the patients.
Toy Donation Guidelines
We appreciate the generosity of donors like you who help us continue our tradition of providing toys to our patients at key points in their recovery. Below is the criteria that we ask that you follow when making your toy donations to help us maintain patient safety and well-being.
- To prevent infection, we only accept new toys, books and DVD's.
- We cannot accept stuffed toys or toys with small pellets or beans.
- Toys should be sturdy and free of any parts which may pinch.
- Please avoid toys which can break easily and leave sharp edges. (i.e. made of glass or brittle plastic)
- We do NOT accept or distribute toys that are designed to promote aggressive behaviors (e.g. toy weapons of any kind nor violent video games or movies).
- All craft materials must be non-toxic (e.g., markers, glue, paint)
For ideas of the hospitals donation requests, please see our Toy Donation list linked at the top of this page.
Gift Cards: The New Toy Drive
1st Choice: Target
2nd Choice: Walmart
3rd Choice: iTunes
|We accept gift cards from online retailers like Amazon too. |
We are extremely grateful for the toy drives that our community members hold to supply us with toys and small gifts for our patients to assist them with their recovery.
Because space in our hospital to store all of these lovely toys and gifts is now at a premium, you can really help us by holding a “Gift Card Drive” for our patients, instead of a traditional toy drive.
Gift cards allow us to maximize your gift to our patients because they provide our staff with the flexibility to make “on-demand” toy purchases as they are needed by our patients. If a particular patient would benefit less from a toy and more from an educational game or book, we might be able to distribute a gift card to that patient as a gift from you to them during their recovery.
I’ve Got Gift Cards – What Do I Do With Them?
We offer two ways of delivering your gift cards to our volunteer office:
- Schedule an appointment with our volunteers to drop-off your gift cards:
- Mail your gift cards to us at:
Volunteer Resources Department
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd. #64
Los Angeles, CA 90027