About the Fellowship
The Administrative Fellowship at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) provides a broad range of health care administration experiences both relevant and challenging over the course of the twelve month program. The Fellow will be tasked to lead prioritized enterprise initiatives, an approach intended to help the Fellow develop marketable project management, analytical, leadership and interpersonal skills. Understanding the importance of professional mentorship, the Fellow will also regularly meet with executive and enterprise-wide leadership throughout their rotations. Ultimately, through visible, tangible project work and network development, the Fellowship aims to identify promising candidates for future leadership positions within CHLA.
Learn More About the Training Program
- Leadership and Mentoring
- Salary and Benefits
- Minimum Qualifications
- Skills Required
- Meet Our Fellows
The Fellowship offers a rotation based experience with the option to select projects based on specific areas of interest and to the needs of the enterprise while reporting directly to the CEO. Each rotation will have an executive sponsor who will help with define projects, create goals, and obtain results over a 3-4 month period. This structure aims to provide a well-rounded understanding of organizational settings distinct in their challenges and function within CHLA. Potential departmental rotations and projects are as follows:
- Clinical and Administrative Operations
- Ambulatory Operations
- Decision Support Services Supply Chain Management
- Strategy and Health System Development
- Human Resources
- Medical Group Operations
- Information Systems
- Research Administration
- Education Administration
- Patient Quality and Safety
- Marketing and Communication
Throughout the Fellowship, the Fellow will have the opportunity to shadow key leaders of the organization, attend high level leadership meetings. The Fellow will experience different managerial and leadership styles to develop an understanding of their own personal style.
The Fellowship is a full-time salaried position beginning in July, with flexibility for exact start date. The compensation and benefits package will be competitive, including extending benefits to dependents. Vacation and sick leave will accrue as a normal full-time employee.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Candidates must complete their graduate course work from a Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education and/or Association of University Programs in Health Administration-accredited program (e.g., M.H.A., M.P.H., M.B.A., etc.) prior to the start of the applied Fellowship year
- Applicants with relevant hospital, consulting, and managed care experience will be given preference
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully both verbally and in writing
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Must have strong follow-through, initiative, and the ability to work independently
Clayton Marshall, MHA
Clayton Marshall graduated from the Price School of Public Policy at USC with a Masters of Health Administration in 2015. He has been with CHLA since 2014; first as an administrative resident in our Department of Academic Affairs, then as a financial analyst in General Pediatrics Services Division. His experience is in medical billing, healthcare research, process improvement and finance.
Nahal Sabrkhani, MPH
Nahal Sabrkhani graduated from the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health with a Master of Public Health in Health Policy and Management. She previously interned at the Los Angeles County Martin Luther King, Jr. Medical Center working on process improvement in transitions of care.
How to Apply
The CHLA Administrative Fellowship program offers a tremendous opportunity for demanding, relevant professional development.
Submission of an application packet and an online job application is required. All components of the application must be received no later than February 1, 2017.
- To apply, qualified individuals should compile the following materials:
- A personal statement addressing your interest and qualifications for the position. Please also address what you hope to gain and achieve from the Fellowship (2 pages maximum, double spaced)
- Official Graduate School Transcript
- One academic and one professional letter of recommendation
The application packet must be submitted via email to email@example.com
Please mail the physical copies of your original school transcripts to:
Re: Administrative Fellowship
4650 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
- You must also complete an online job application on the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles careers website at https://jobs.chla.org. Search for keyword: Administrative Fellowship