Child Life Internship
The Child Life Department at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles offers a full time, 600 hour internship over 15 weeks, practicing in accordance with the requirements and standards set forth by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP).
- Application Requirements
- Application Considerations
- Application Deadlines
- Completion of a 120 hour minimum child life practicum, supervised by a Certified Child Life Specialist with at least 2000 paid hours of experience. Practicum content must be in accordance with the recommended standards set forth by the ACLP. Please click here to view the recommended standards. *Please note: volunteer hours do not qualify.
- Enrollment in a graduate level program, working toward a degree in child life or other related field of study OR possession of an undergraduate/graduate degree in child life or other related field of study
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in 10 child life, child development, or related courses, approved and verified by the ACLP “Eligibility Assessment”. Please click here to complete the assessment.
- Experience with well children in a non-medical/health related setting
All applications must include the following to be considered:
- Complete Common Child Life Internship Application. Click here for a copy
- Complete copy of completed Eligibility Assessment from the ACLP. Click here for more information
- Two signed and sealed letters of recommendation, on official letterhead. One from the Certified Child Life Specialist responsible for supervising your clinical practicum experience in a child life program, and one from a professional of your choice. Letters must have been written within the last year
- Written confirmation of completion of a 120 hour minimum child life practicum, signed and sealed, on official letterhead. Please see “Prerequisites” section for practicum standards.
- Copy of final practicum evaluation form
- Official transcripts
- Current resume/CV and cover letter
- One current color headshot, no larger than a ½ sheet of paper
- If accepted, Independent students must agree to all terms of CHLA’s student agreement
- University affiliated students and their schools must agree to all terms of CHLA’s student agreement
- Stipends, housing, and/or relocation fees are not provided
- Due to the large number of applications received, we are unable to provide individual feedback to applicants not chosen for interviews/internships
Submitting your application
- All application materials must be present in order to be considered. Exception: Universities that will not send transcripts to the student may send directly to us, however it must arrive by the deadline
- Please do not staple, paperclip, bind, or place materials in a folder
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application
- Please send all completed materials to:
Child Life Internship Program
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Boulevard MS #28
Los Angeles, CA 90027