CAMP CHLA - Health Care Career Exploration
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to work as a health care professional? Camp CHLA is your chance to explore these exciting health care careers! Join us for five full days of education, observation and participation in the daily activities of health care professionals at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
At Camp CHLA, you will:
- Observe medical procedures and job shadow health care professionals, as they care for patients
- Participate in skills lab, where you will learn how to take vital signs, perform CPR and acquire other essential skills for the medical field
- Gain exposure to different career paths by participating in presentations given by medical professionals in various specialties
- Debrief at the end of each day to reflect and share your experiences with other campers
- Get a firsthand look at health care through this life-changing opportunity
Important Camp Dates
June 26-30, 2017
July 24-28, 2017
How to Apply for Camp CHLA
- Applications will close when 400 applications have been received or on Friday, January 20, 2017 at midnight, whichever comes first
- Only the first 400 applications submitted will be reviewed
- All accepted applicants will be notified by April 3, 2017
Only current freshmen, sophomores, or juniors in high school are eligible to apply. Students will be chosen based on their completed online application, essay, and letter of recommendation. If you have attended Camp CHLA before, you are not eligible to re-apply. If selected, you will only be able to attend one camp session. On your online application, you will have the option of providing your first and second choice for dates. If you do not have a preference, you will be able to choose "No Preference." If you are unavailable for one of the dates, you will be able to choose "Not Available."
Since we are closing the applications after 400 have been received, we suggest that you start working on your application before it opens online. Here are a few things you can do to prepare in advance:
- Think about who you would like to write your recommendation
Once the applications open online, you will need to email the electronic recommendation to your teacher or counselor to complete. Please make sure that the person you choose to write your recommendation has access to email and is aware of the deadline and your interest in applying to Camp CHLA.
- Research different health careers
In your application, you will have the option of choosing your top three professions and units you would like to shadow. Here is the list of available careers you can shadow during Camp CHLA.
- Write your essay
- Please describe your career interests and how you would benefit from attending Camp CHLA. (200-250 words)
- What would you consider your most important achievement and why? (max. 200 words)
- Why should you be selected to attend Camp CHLA? (max. 100 words)
Tuition/Fees for Camp CHLA
There is no charge to attend Camp CHLA. We sincerely thank the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development for the Health Careers Training Program Grant, the generous donors who have underwritten Camp CHLA and also the Children's Hospital Los Angeles staff for their support and continual dedication.
Participants are expected to take part in all Camp CHLA activities. If your application is accepted, please ensure that your work, personal or school schedules will not conflict with Camp CHLA.
Participants will need to provide their own transportation to and from Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. For eligible participants taking public transportation, reimbursement may be available. Parking validations will be provided to students who drive.