This program is rewarding for both dogs and their owners. In addition to the satisfaction that pet owners feel while their dog comforts patients and their families while visiting our hospital, owners enjoy seeing their pets showcased on our website.
How Our Program Helps Our Patients
About Our Dog Volunteers
Start Volunteering with Your Dog
Pet owners who volunteer for this type of service are very special people who enjoy sharing the unique talents and abilities of their dogs with others.The requirements outlined below are designed to ensure the safety of our patients and the viability of the program so that we can continue providing dog visits to our sick and injured children well into the future.
Handler and Dog Requirements
The majority of the requirements to participate in the dog therapy program revolve around preparing the owner and the dog for success in a pediatric health care setting, where a dog’s tail or ear might get pulled during a visit, where unfamiliar people are walking in and out of the care environment and where unfamiliar sounds and smells may be present.
To be considered for the program, you and your dog must be registered with the therapy animal team with Pet Partner. You and your dog must also successfully complete an evaluation by Children’s Hospital Los Angeles staff in addition to your Pet Partners evaluation. You must complete the standard hospital volunteer requirements asked of all of our volunteers.
Additional Requirements to Participate
- Annual veterinary exam for your dog (with necessary tests and immunizations)
- Proof of current rabies vaccination
- Monthly flea protection
- Annual health clearance for volunteer
- Minimum of two visits to our patients per month
- Bathing and grooming of dog within 48 hours of hospital visit
- Ability of dog to relieve himself/herself prior to entering the hospital
- Appropriate uniform for you and for your dog (designated hospital doggy scarf)