ABOUT OUR HOSPITAL
Children's Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit hospital for pediatric care.
CHLA has been named the best children’s hospital on the West Coast and is among the top five in the nation for clinical excellence with its selection to the prestigious U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll.
CHLA is home to The Saban Research Institute, one of the largest and most productive pediatric research facilities in the United States.
CHLA is also one of America's premier teaching hospitals through its affiliation since 1932 with the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California.
Each year, we provide more than 104,000 children with pediatric health care in a setting designed just for their needs.
We are a research hospital and believe that it is through research that we can improve the delivery of care to the children of the future.
WE TREAT KIDS BETTER
Founded in 1901, CHLA is the first and largest pediatric hospital in Southern California. CHLA is one of only 10 children’s hospitals in the nation–and the only one on the West Coast–to be named to the prestigious U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll.
Children’s Hospital Los Angeles is referred to by those who know it best as “CHLA,” an acronym that has come to be synonymous with our compassionate brand of care. As a nonprofit hospital, this acronym is one that we use constantly as we rely on generous philanthropists in the community to support the three main tenets of how we fulfill our mission of: 1) compassionate patient care, 2) leading-edge education for the caregivers of tomorrow and 3) innovative research efforts that impact children at our hospital and around the world.
- The only freestanding Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center in Los Angeles County approved by the County Department of Health Services and accredited by the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons.
- One of only 13 children’s hospitals to be designated a “Top Hospital” for 2013 by The Leapfrog Group.
- Designated as a Magnet Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center – an honor held by only five percent of hospitals nationwide.
- Granted the Beacon Award for Excellence in Pediatric Intensive Care Units from the American Association of Critical Care Nursing.
- The most recognized and favored hospital in Los Angeles County among families with children, according to a 2010 independent study.
- A provider of more than $125 million annually in community benefits to the children and families of Los Angeles
- According to the Children’s Hospital Association, The Saban Research Institute of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles ranks eighth in the nation among children’s hospitals in National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding.
More than 5,200 employees and nearly 600 medical staff deliver care to patients at CHLA. Annual statistics log:
- 13,800 inpatient visits
- 319,000 outpatient visits
- More than 70,000 Emergency Department visits
- More than 16,000 pediatric surgeries performed – more complex procedures than any other hospital in Southern California.
- 347 active beds overall
- 106 pediatric critical care beds (more than any other hospital in the western U.S.)
ACADEMIC MEDICAL DEPARTMENTS
CHLA provides top pediatric care via five departments:
DEPARTMENT OF ANESTHESIOLOGY AND CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE
The Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine is divided into three divisions which include:
DEPARTMENT OF PEDIATRICS
The Department of Pediatrics – also the largest department within the USC Keck School of Medicine – includes the following divisions:
CHLA also exceeds national benchmarks for maintaining a culture of safety with some of the lowest rates of catheter-associated bloodstream infections in the country. The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) consistently has infection rates that are well below the national average.
DEPARTMENT OF SURGERY
The Department of Surgery at CHLA is one of the country’s most comprehensive programs, encompassing nine divisions:
All four solid organ transplant programs (heart, liver, intestine and kidney) maintain excellent one-year pediatric patient and graft survival rates, ranging from 95 to 100 percent, per the July 2010 release in the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients.
TOP MEDICAL STAFF
CHLA is one of the country’s premier teaching hospitals and has been affiliated with the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California since 1932.
Education is a cornerstone of the mission of CHLA. Our training programs include 575 medical students, 85 full-time residents, three chief residents and 98 fellows. For the past 11 years, 96 percent of those graduating from the Children's Hospital Residency Program passed the American Board of Pediatrics exam on the first attempt, far exceeding the national average.
Established in 1992, The Saban Research Institute of CHLA is among the largest and most productive pediatric research centers in the Western United States. In 2003, the Institute was named for Cheryl Saban, PhD, and Mr. Haim Saban with a $40 million philanthropic gift.
With $26 million in National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant funding, an international team of 100 researchers and physicians collaborate to combat cancer, brain disorders, obesity and diabetes, among other devastating pediatric health conditions.
- Chaplain Services
- Coffee Bar
- Family Pantry (24-hour convenience store)
- Family Resource Center
- Gift Shop
- HBO Café and Outdoor Dining Terrace
- Play and Healing Garden
- Acute Medical Care Units - 64 Beds
- Acute Medical Surgical Care Unit - 32 Beds
- Acute Surgical Care Unit - 32 Beds
- Blood Bank
- Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Unit - 14 Beds
- Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CTICU) - 24 Beds
- Burtie Green Bettingen Surgery Center - 14 Operating Rooms
- Cardiovascular Acute Unit (CV Acute) - 21 Beds
- Catheterization Laboratories
- Hematology/Oncology Units - 48 Beds
- Inpatient Imaging and Radiology
- Marion and John E. Anderson Pavilion, The
- Newborn and Infant Critical Care Unit (NICCU) - 58 Beds
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) - 24 Beds
- Pharmacy (Inpatient Satellite Settings) - 4
- Rehabiliation Unit - 28 Beds
- Teen Lounge
- Ambulatory Infusion Center
- Ambulatory Surgery Center - 3 Operating Rooms and 1 Procedure Rooms
- Boone Fetter Clinic (autism and developmental disorders clinic)
- Emergency Department (30 Bays)
- Twenty-six Exam Rooms
- Two Trauma Rooms (2 bays each)
- Nine Urgent Care Bays
- Hydrotherapy Room
- Outpatient Clinics (see refer a patient page for complete list)
- Radiology and Imaging
- Sleep Center
- Teenage Health Center
- University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDD)
We create hope and build healthier futures.
Children's Hospital Los Angeles is a nonprofit hospital that depends on generous donations to help heal children in an environment that lets them thrive. The support from the community helps pay for the breakthrough therapies and treatments that save young lives each year.