Research Readiness Workshop : Data Visualization for Knowledge Generation
Speaker: Tarek Azzam, PhD, Associate Professor & Chair of the Evaluation & Applied Methods PhD Program, Director of The Evaluators’ Institute (TEI), Claremont Graduate University
Workshop Summary: With new technologies, the availability of more and more data, and advanced analytic tools and techniques, the challenge becomes how to best communicate what the data and findings are really telling us. Moreover, a related challenge is how to make sure the information we disseminate is accessible to different audiences. This can successfully be done by graphic design strategies to emphasize the story in the data.
In this workshop, we will:
- Explore the underlying principles behind effective information displays
- Provide tips to improve most data displays
- Examine the core factors that make these principles effective
- Discuss the use of the common graphical tools
- Explore other graphical displays that allow the user to visually interact with data
- Review interactive visual displays, GIS and crowdsourcing visualizations
This workshop is designed as an introduction to the topics. No prior training is required and researchers in all career stages are welcome.
Space is limited, please register at https://tsri.eventbrite.com